Sunday, August 19, 2007

Yard sales & history lessons....

Yesterday, I got up really early to drop some papers off at Kinko's to be cut for Jeff & Rachael's wedding invitations .

So I get up , drive to Kinko's before I think anyone in their right "Saturday-morning-sleep-in-mind" would go. Kinko's is open 24 hours, right?

Nope. Not on Saturdays.

OK, a few hours to kill...

Yard sales! That's it! I could catch a few, guilt-free, and still have the day to finish the invitations. What a great plan...

The rain clouds are building as I get to the first one. Luckily, they have thought ahead enough to use a tarp to cover some of the old items I was most interested in.

Milk bottles. Washboards. Spools of thread and string.

And old letters. From the 40's. Before zip codes. Even before street numbers. Some just had the recipient's name and city & state. Some were just the envelopes.

Some still had the letters inside. Easter cards. A Mother's Day card. A few wedding invitations (!).

While reading, a feeling of not only sadness and respect came, but a feeling that I was invading their private thought and words, which is exactly what I was doing.

"Thank yous" from sympathy condolences sent. I wonder if they were sons killed in the war.....

But I continued to read. A Mother's Day card sent by a daughter who felt guilty about not going to see her on Mother' Day. Said she sent a few dollars for her Mother to buy "a permanent or a dress for yourself".

A history lesson on a Saturday morning. What a great way to start my week-end.

Hope yours is wonderful, too!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...