Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What is YOUR favorite hour of the day??

Not, are you a 'morning 'person or a 'night' person.

Not what's your favorite time of the day... What is your favorite hour?

Do you have one?

I do.
Surprise, surprise, huh?

It's 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I don't really know for sure why -it just always has been. Ever since I can remember. Ever since I thought about it, which apparently has been for a long time.

4 o'clock.

Maybe it's because school's out but supper's not yet ready ....( my Mother always had supper ready at 5 o'clock!)

Maybe it's because work day is almost done.

I'm not sure why I love it so much. The light's too strong in the summer for great photo shots. But it is pretty in the winter..and in the fall, incredible!

There are even a few 'memorable' 4 o'clocks for me....

Once, when we were thinking about moving from Colorado to San Francisco. I was already out there working, before the family joined me.

I went to the pier after finishing up my day early and saw the most incredible sight. At least it was quite incredible for a girl from Arizona by way of Colorado - seals!

On the landings - just soaking up the sun! And not in a zoo!

Real, live, WILD seals! It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

I got soo excited, people must have thought I had some sort of affliction.

But I remember it so well. One of the highlights of my constant "work travel " at that time.

Another time, another place. This time in Texas. We had just rented a house after living in apartments for a long time. Randy and I were recently married. The kids were having a blast in "their yard".

I remember it was a Monday. The restaurant Randy's Dad owned and we both worked at was closed on Sundays and Mondays. It was early fall - I think November. Just when the 4 o'clock sky needs a little help with indoor lighting.

I was cooking supper. We were NOT having fast-food, as we did most of the busy week. This was a day off, and I wanted to cook.

The kids were watching TV or playing outside. I could hear them laughing and having fun. I felt as if it were as close to perfection as any of the families on TV I had grown up with. Now, if only I had on an apron....

A house. A husband. A family. Fall.

AND 4 o'clock.

Perfection!

So, what's YOUR favorite hour of the day?? Think about it - it might just stir up some pretty amazing memories.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

April said...

My favorite hour is 9pm. Definitely not a morning person. Why 9pm? Because for me it is my time after a long day. Kids are in bed, homework has been checked, dinner/dishes are done, baths are done, and I get to sit down and relax. Quiet time. No phone calls, no interruptions, I can just sit and watch an entire TV show or read or talk to my husband. This is the time where he and I get to share our day, talk about tomorrow, and just be together. When he is working or I am in school, this is what I miss the most- the time to just visit and talk about everything or nothing at all. As for memories, when I think about it, I don't know the exact time but it reminds me of seeing Haley's comet in the big, clear black sky when we were driving from San Diego to Phoenix in the evening- any earlier and the sky would not have been dark enough to see it and any later and I would have been fast asleep! Or I am reminded of past camping trips. Sitting by the campfire, around 9pm is when it gets dark, really dark, so the campfire just glows and everything is quiet- you can hear the crickets and the sounds of the wood crackling in the fire. This is serenity for me.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...