Thursday, March 5, 2009

"we're fools if we dance or not so we might as well dance"

That's a Japanese proverb. I like it.

My daughter Brandi and little Ella live it.



And that's just one of the things I love about them.

When I was out there for Ella's 5th birthday in January, their latest love was "Hairspray" - both the movie and the soundtrack.




They've watched it, oh, like a gazillion times and Ella knows the words to all the songs and Brandi can practically recite the entire dialog.

Seriously.

But the thing I enjoyed so much is these two sweeties of mine would sing...LoUDly..and, not so ..uh..on-key.

But that didn't matter. They sang loud and they laughed and they danced around their little condo and all was perfect with the entire world at that moment...


To watch this, I was reminded of what a gift this was. To be a witness to such a disregard of what "other" people think, without judgment of themselves - it was pure delight.

So, why don't more of us sing? Dance? I think I read that is more a fear of judgment than one of control.

Why do we judge ourselves so harshly? Take a day off from perfection and be an idiot, a clown, a "silly-why-don't-you-act-your-age" sort of person. Who knows, you may even make yourself totally happy.


Seriously..totally.

Here are a couple of quotes I found and love:

"To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak" - Hopi saying

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music" - Angela Monet

Friendsters Forever- :-)

-me

10 comments:

debi said...

That little Ella is a real cutie!! Love the expressions!
Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your sweet comments.
Debi

diane b said...

I agree whole heartedly. What a wonderful pair they are and Elle is just beautiful.I find the older I get the less inhibitions I have.I hug soft toys as I walk through the super market and BB walks off. But when we were on holidays in Germany he started singing opera in the street.

Betty said...

What adorable pictures...ALL of them! Love the surprised look on her face (or was she singing? haha). I was raised with the expression, "What will people think?" I'm finally getting over it at my advanced age and not worrying about it so much. Life is more fun!

RoeH said...

Ella takes such gorgeous photos. Very ..uh.,photogenic. Couldn't think of the word. What a doll. I just know she'd win some contest somewhere.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

So true we should all dance!. My family is big into music and dancing every family gathering we all end up dancing and singing. On the weekends when my husband and I are listing to the radio he will take my hand and we dance all around the kitchen just laughing and having fun. A great post I enjoyed it very much!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Elizabeth

Vee said...

A delightful post through and through. I'm not ready to put on my dancing shoes yet, but I'm so happy to know that others do!

Little Penpen said...

I like the thought for your post. I guess I'm one of those that worries too much about what others think. I think of "you" when I think of someone who dances through life.

Julie said...

What a sweetheart. I bet you hate being so far away from her.

May I add some dance quotes?

"Dance as if no one were watching; sing as if no one were listening."

"If you can talk you can sing; if you can walk you can dance."

"And if you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance." By Leanne Womak. I have this as a CD single and I play it whenever I need a lift!

Charmingdesigns said...

I can just hear him as I read through this. Laurie

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

Oh, she is the cutest little peach! Love that surprised O expression!!

Great post! I'm all for dancing and singing in the rain . . . and everywhere else! My kids roll their eyes, but what happened to them anyway? I sang to them and taught them so many songs when they were young. Everywhere we went, they loved to sing for people. Now I can't get them to sing - so sad. Well, maybe they'll come back to it when they have kids. Kids give you a whole new excuse to act like a kid!!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...