Thursday, March 12, 2009

New people ... new location...same old me..

...and a "Meet-n-Greet" luncheon toady.

It was good, if not a wee bit intimidating.

I mean, I was by F.A.R. the oldest person..and probably the least educated..well..at least in the University sense.

I mean, I was a Grandmother at 36 -no time for collage! Did I tell you my "starter marriage" was in the fourth grade and I had a baby at recess? No??

Just kidding. I was raised Catholic (with the appropriate amount of guilt for even thinking about..S E_..well..you know..ah..babies and where they come from)...so, the only thing to do after graduation, beside the all-night party at Rosie's house was to get married...so I could..well..you know...

Anyway, we all took turns standing up and introducing ourselves, what we do for the company, education (what college, what degree(s) ) hobbies, kids, and the color of your car (?) (that was just a fun-one thrown in..which we all answered)

Now mind you, these are mostly scientists, geneticists, genealogists, CEO's and IT super-minds...speaking like 5 languages each.. Hey, I totally can speak uh..one..

When it was my turn, after an totally impressive litany of degrees, schools, incredible children, world travels, super-sky-diving-snow-boarding recreation, it was my turn...

"Hi, I'm Colleen and I work in Customer Service...I have a...uh......PhD.. in... um...Scrapbooking!..

(here's MY degree..the proof....the text-books, the building supplies..my laboratory..)


Yeah, that's it.. Oh, and a BA in "Rescue Dogs" ..........


Lulu & Braxton

.............(and obviously a BS in..public speaking) and I have a killer-blog!

My car is named the Silver Pearl...and I prefer comfortable shoes.."

Well, after the initial shock, they did laugh......I think I'm going to like it just fine there...now, where's the acid-free tape and the kibble??

-me

8 comments:

RoeH said...

Funny! I didn't go to college and a lot of people take time to remind me that I didn't go to college. Especially working in the public school system. Teachers have very high opinions about their college degrees. So okay...I'm dumber than dirt. But can THEY write a blog about nothing in particular like I can? Hey....maybe that BA (or BS) would have made me write it better. :)

diane b said...

Nothing better than the education of life. Personality outweighs academic qualifications as you proved today. But of course there are some academics, who also have a good personality too.

I hope Lucy isn't a "teacher basher," I hope I'm not like the teachers she described.

Little Penpen said...

You are so "you" and I love your sense of humor. Go Colleen!

Charmingdesigns said...

Oh how I would have loved to see the look on their faces. I'm with you...a little slim in the Professional education dept...but, I bet they couldn't scrapbook!!! Its probably a foreign word to them. hee hee. Laurie

Heather said...

I think you're story is great! And like someone else said before me, "there is nothing better than the education of life!".

Vee said...

You, my dear, are just what those types need! I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall...

Lindsay said...

We love you and your expertise in life. No matter of education can teach you that :)

MeiLani and Michael said...

So PhD huh... does that mean you are qualified to teach the domestically illiterate like me :)

I'm so grateful to work with you- especially during this move.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...