Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fill-me-ups...

Yep. That's what I call the veggies Mr. B makes for me every Sunday.

Fill-me-ups.

They have a job to do - and they do it well.

Mr. B makes them...fabulously! And..he doesn't even LIKE veggies..go figure.

I call them fillers, because, with my weight loss plan, I have my protein the smallest portion of my plate..so I needed something to fill the plate so it looks like I'm really eating what a full plate should look like.

I take them for lunches, because we usually have regular veggies at dinner. I'll take them with a hard boiled egg, maybe some tuna or a small frozen entree. It's delicious as well as good for me.

I've also added this on top of a way smaller portion of pasta than I would normally have with spaghetti sauce - and I like it better than spaghetti sauce :-)


And, because I told my sister Kathy I'd let her know how Mr. B cooked it, I thought per chance some of you would like to have this too. It's really not any "new" method or even ingredients, but they way they go together, I feel it is an improved version of some old stand-by veggies:

1 14oz can of stewed tomatoes - drained (all veggies are cut into bite sized pieces)
1 lg onion
1 lg red bell pepper
1 lg green bell pepper
2 zucchini
2 yellow squash
1/2 small jar of green olives
1 can water chestnuts
1 can artichoke hearts - drained
1 tbs minced garlic
2 small cans V-8 spicy
1 T olive oil
1 tbs sugar
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Heat oil on med/high heat

add onions and cook until caramelized

add green and red bell peppers

(add a little salt & pepper on each layer)

Reduce heat to medium and add squash, a pinch of salt & pepper

Saute' 4 to 5 minutes then add garlic.

Add V-8's and stewed tomatoes

Add sugar (to cut the acid from the tomatoes)

Cook until squash is medium-tender. (re-heating during the week will turn it mushy if you over cook the first day)

When squash is cooked, add olives, artichokes and water chestnuts. Cook until heated through.

It really is yum-OH!

I divide all up into daily portions and viola! Instant (for me anyway) fill-me-ups!

Hope, if you like veggies, you'll try this combination. I even like it cold :-)

-me

8 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

Oh now, that sounds yummy!! I will give it a shot~ Thanks Mr. B. Laurie

Little Penpen said...

Yay for Mr. B! What a nice guy to make that delicious veggie dish for you and not even like veggies, himself! Sounds like you are doing a great job on your new eating plan!

Vee said...

It certainly does sound good for you and it is pretty!

RoeH said...

Yummers! I'm making that someday. I like veggie things.

Betty said...

Okay, so I'm picking out the peppers, olives and artichoke hearts and eating them right away. Um...the other veggies...not so much. Actually, for vegetables, it sounds good; but, I'm with Mr. B..I don't 'do' vegetables.

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

Oh that looks so yummy!!! I will have to pass
the recipe off to hubby and have him make it for me :)

Hugs~kimme

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Yummy...I love everything in this! Hubby at my house doesn't know what the stove is, so I'm printing this off for his Learn to Do File!

eugie74 said...

So, that's it! I've been faking it since we last ate at your house and I've come close but not close enough! Thanks for posting this for the benefit of all. It will get me closer but no one can serve it up like Mr. B,!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...