Monday, March 16, 2009

I am proud to be Irish ...or "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." -Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

..and I am very aware of the struggles they had when they left Ireland to come to America.

I found this great interactive book that describes how they felt, what they were leaving behind, how they were first treated here and how they overcame the odds ...in reproductions of letters, deeds, cards and photos..

Journey of Hope - The Story of Irish Immigration to America
by Kirby Miller & Patricia Mulholland Miller..








As most of you know, my personal background is to be a part of a very strong-willed, head-strong, stubborn, loving and wonderful clan if Irish women..the Sullivan's.

(OK - there were a few good men thrown in there as well..)

The men on our family tree were stubborn, big-hearted men who took care of their families..but the women always make me wonder...they were all gone before I was born and Mother didn't tell many stories. It's only through some genealogy that we have the information we have..But I want to know what they were like, what made them happy, what books they read..favorite color..



"The Irish believe in impossible things just long enough to make them come true. The Irish invented rosy cheeks, giggles and being stubborn. The Irish wear freckles where angels have kissed them. The Irish sing songs when they're happy and sing them even louder when they're sad. The Irish dance dangerous jigs and write passionate poetry and can tell the most magical stories of all. The Irish are the guardians of the little bit of heaven that once fell very gently from the sky."

Mr. B made corned beef & cabbage for us on Sunday..an early treat. And I made a silly-looking cake for work - but it should be good - it's the Pineapple-Pecan cake with Cream Cheese Frosting that is one of my specialties...OK..my ONLY specialty..

"In Ireland, the inevitable never happens and
the unexpected constantly occurs."
-Sir John Pentland Mahaffy

I have a few treasured Irish books, and one of my favorites came from Pam & Angie (http://whitemorn.typepad.com/ and
http://whitemorn.typepad.com/the_old_schoolhouse/ )

It's Memoir by John McGahern and on page 64, he speaks of the Old Schoolhouse- it's wonderful! Thank you both for this extraordinary gift!

Here are some Irish coins that my daughter Brandi brought back from her first trip to Ireland...yes, she's been there.... TWICE..Oh my suffern' heart..what's a Mother to do??


I'd like to wish everyone , Irish or Irish-wanna-be's, to have a very safe and Happy St. Patrick's day...



Oh, what's green and stays out all night???

Paddy O' Furniture....

-me
"Ireland is rich in literature that understands a soul's yearnings,
and dancing that understands a happy heart."
-Margaret Jackson

10 comments:

JapaneseKeane said...

Yes,I`m proud of being an Irish!! LoL
Happy St.Patrick`s Day :-D

Jean said...

Happy St Patty's to you! I loved your meet and greet response! At our age experience counts for everything. Actually does us well in almost any circumstance. I know I'd eat better with someone like Mr B to cook for me! That's how all the famous do it, have a cook! OMG! I love the doors! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them. Awesome! Jean

Little Penpen said...

Happy St Patricks day to you. I'm sure you remembered to wear green today. Paddy O' Furniture... good one!

Betty said...

Nice post...all the Irish people I know are just too fun!! I know that cake will be delicious...I had a piece at your house and it was wonderful!

Vee said...

What a delightful tribute to your Irish roots! Now that I know you're Irish, it all makes perfect sense. Thank you for all the lovely images and the grand quotes. I hadn't heard many of them before and I'll be laughing all day about the Freud one.

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

A Happy Saint Patrick's day to you along with a big hug!

~kimme

Sherry said...

You make my day! (everytime you write) I just LOVE your blog....I am going to try some fill me ups....thanks.

Anonymous said...

Fab post. you really get it across how you feel about you heritage. Have a lovely day. Oh, and be sure to check out japanesekeane's blog as he had a one man parade in Japan! I think he is actually Irish and if so then Freud was right!

Aishling O'Neill said...

Its very late but Happy St. Patrick's Day from Ireland!!! :D
I spent my Patrick's Day up in Dublin photographing the Parade!!!
Once I have all the photos posted to my Flickr I will have a blog post up about it!!!

Its great you have such Irish Heritage!!!
I hope you get to come here someday soon!!! ;) :D

Aishling.

Anonymous said...

Hi
celexa pharmacy
Also, Celexa is prescribed to patients with PMS which symptoms include depression and severe mood swings.
[url=http://www.bestofdefleppard.com/]buy celexa[/url]
These chemicals are produced and released by nerves in brain and they can be considered as a communication track of the brain.
http://www.bestofdefleppard.com/ - celexa pills
This is where one can take advantage of the Celexa as it helps to maintain the balance between neurotransmitters, assisting people to get rid off severe depression.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...