Thursday, December 17, 2009

I am learning lessons...

I have been on Weight Watchers off and on for probably 20 years....mostly off.

So last week when I weighed in, I was completely deflated.  I had gained.  Not just a little.  3.8 pounds.  I couldn't even tell Mr. B or my sisters..all  I could tell them was that I gained..

And as in the past, I wanted nothing more to do with WW anymore.  It's my life, right?


{this is how far I've come..first my 25 lb. then on to my 50 lb.}

If I want to eat, if I don't want to keep track, if I want to have lots and lots of treats over the holiday..and so on and so on.

But I didn't.  I went back.  Tonight.  And I lost 7.6 pounds.

What was different this time?  I have learned.  We all have lapses.  We all go a little crazy.  We all try to stuff our feeling of sadness and helplessness down with food..

But I am learning..it doesn't help.  The sadness is still there - the helplessness is still there..and then a whole bunch of new negative emotions come out..guilt, disappointment and frustration.

We were given a rubber band tonight - and the leader said you can stretch the rubber band out, but it snaps back..

A good analogy..and that  rubber band will serve as a reminder that I can be stretched for a short time, but I will snap back ..

So watch out 2010...I'm gunna open a big 'ol can of whoop-ass on fat :-)



{this is a small candle with cute Christmas confetti the WW leader gave to all of us tonight..she said her 11 year old daughter and she made these so we can "shine our light" ..super, huh?}

So I figure right now I'm about a 6.75...well on my way to becoming a "10"....

-me

14 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

I'm so proud of you. You really are an inspiration!!! Keep up the good work and let your light shine!

diane b said...

I'm glad you got back on track. #.8 pounds isn't much when converted to kg its about 1.5kg. Gosh I can put that on in one day and then in the morning its gone. You are doing well, lapses are natural, your light is shining.

Art by Darla Kay said...

You are doing great Colleen! I think I met WW in 1976, I was in high school and I've been on/off some sort of diet for the past 30 years. I've wished I could find the right thing for me. I gain and lose the same 20 lbs over and over and over.
You are an inspiration and I love your attitude. Look out 2010~I wish you the best and I hope to join you in the kick-butt on fat department :)

The Feathered Nest said...

You inspire me Colleen!!!! Slow and steady wins the race dear friend...I have to make health our no. 1 priority!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Lori R. said...

Thanks for the pep talk Colleen. I bet I have gained and lost 100's of lbs in the past 30 years, it is just the same weight over and over. But I kinda have my heart set now, not going crazy this Christmas! Daughter's wedding in June. So I am setting my goals and gonna give it a try, one more time! Might need your pep talk along the way, wish me luck!!!

Unknown said...

well you are now 7.6 lbs closer to being that "10". way to go, keep it up. keep inspiring me- maybe 2010 will be my year for losing this weight also!

Unknown said...

I've probably gained 15 pounds over the past year due to all kinds of physical problems that kept me on the couch, etc., so I applaud you for taking the plunge again and inspiring us all. Good luck!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh dear! The weight issue! Oh sigh. Never had a problem till after our 4th child, at about 28 years of age. Starved off the silly 5-7 pounds I kept, after him. Been yo-yoing in weight, ever since.

How sad is that, hu?

Maybe if I'd not starved off those silly 5-7 pounds, way back then, I'd not have set myself on the gain-lose-gain-lose roller-coaster. Maybe?

'Cause the best way to gain weight, is to diet.

Now I don't worry much about it. I'm pretty settled where I am. But then, I don't eat Christmas time goodies, either. Since avoiding heart attack...

Good wishes to you and to all, who struggle with this!

Vicki/Jake said...

Colleen, you just do what works for you and keep your heart on the fact that we all love you no matter! I believe if you can deal with the emotional roller coaster and fix it, then the weight roller coaster will fix itself...
Just nibble (O:

Heather said...

hang in there! 2010 is a fresh start! i need one too, lol!

Sheryl Parsons said...

Good for you for going on! I've fought weight battles all my life, and have been working on losing. I lost 15 lbs over the summer and fall and don't want to gain it all back. January is always the killer for me. May you win this one, and have a wonderfully joyous holiday. May we all have the strength to make good choices, for our health and peace of mind. May we all be mindful of the unique way we were created and know that we don't all have to fit in the same body mold. Health is more important than shape and at my age, just being healthy and having energy to enjoy family and the good things here on earth is my goal. 2010 will be a good year!
Hugs,
Sheryl

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Good for you! I tell the whole weight thing has been an issue these past couple years as I've been having injury after injury from exercising. I think I'm now down to just swimming - bike riding is bothering my knees!

The candle from your WW leader is such a cute idea!

Manuela

June said...

Good for you, Colleen! You go, girl! You are an inspiration to me always.

Merry-merry from your friends (chickens and all) in the cold northeast...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I struggle all the time. I am so glad that you are doing so well. I need some of you to rub off on me.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...