Thursday, February 19, 2009

Home....

HOME - n.

1. A place where one lives; a residence
2. The physical structure within which one lives, such as a house or apartment
3. A dwelling place together with the family or social unit that occupies it; a household
4. An environment offering affection, security and happiness
5. A valued place regarded as a refuge or place of origin


Simply put, home is a place for escape, filled with art, books, color, scents, sounds, textures and memories.

It is a repository for keepsakes and dreams that help bridge past with future.

I am only now realizing what it must be like….

......to loose you home. And how very fortunate we are not to be losing ours.

You hear about it on the news, you see all the “for Sale – Bank Owned” signs or “Foreclosure” signs as your drive through town...



...but until the reality of it happening to someone you know as they are going through it, I never thought too much about how it would feel..



And everyone I know reading this blog loves their homes, spends great time and love fixing, decorating, cleaning, partying in and making memories in their homes.

To decide to sell your home is something totally different than the possibility of loosing it- and not just speaking financially- we know that part would be devastating – but this is deeper.

You make a decision to sell because it’s too big. Or too small. Or too much upkeep…but it’s YOU who decides. And you say good-bye accordingly..

..it’s not being taken from you.

Your decorating. You soft place to fall. Your memories. Your home…



Imagine.

To have someone who you don’t know, and who knows nothing about you or your life, say “you’ll need to be out of the house.. (it’s my HOME – not just a house.. you want to yell).. by such-and-such a date.”

To have to walk through that one last time – to say good-bye to the garden you tended – the porch where you sat and drank coffee…

To have to drive off and look in the rear-view mirror at not just a brick and mortar building..but your sweet...

.. home…

And know you’ll never set foot in it again..and someday someone else will..and you'll not be there..my heart hurts. My throat closes. My head aches..

It’s all too much.
It’s happening all too often.
It’s happening all too close.

And there is nothing we can do to help – except love them and offer our arms….

.and shed tears for the death of a dream…

-me

8 comments:

RoeH said...

Yeah....I read you loud and clear. Those signs are all over the place here and then I think....'why do I complain and bitch about my life when I'm in a good home (condo) with a low mortgage'. It's what will probably never get me out of Arizona which I really want to do. I just hope the lender doesn't go belly up.

Betty said...

Jack and I were just discussing this morning how many 'baby boomers' were planning on the sale of their homes to enhance their retirement...and, how much less everyone's homes seem to be worth now. We're so thankful to be so fortunate; retired for 14 years and we own our current home outright. We hope and pray for those who are going through these difficult financial times. Great post, Colleen.

A Wild Thing said...

I am soooo with you there...especially in the winter up North in my line of biz, so uncertain. You live for the weekend, then a huge snowfall happens on Friday night, crippling everything as your profits pour down the drain.

I really worried this winter about the pink shack, so far so good, but I really planned ahead and tightened my virtual belt. We just do with less and less is more...but that damned dog is so demanding...know what I mean!!!

sharon

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I really feel for those going through loosing their home...I can only imagine what they must be feeling.

Sweetie said...

I am so sorry for those that are losing their homes. We have good friends who lost their home and family farm. They are a very hard working family. It was devastating as this had been their life's work.
Sweetie

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Colleen,
So true, we are seeing a lot of homes in foreclosure where I live. Very sad, what we are seeing also is an increase in rentals, my sister just bought 4 homes last month for rental property. The home prices are so low now its the time to invest if you can. My sister did and it works out great for her and the folks that need a home to live in. A great post.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

My heart is scalded for these people, no more to say.

diane b said...

A great post so full of feelings. It is a sad time for many. Our home is safe but our retirement savings that we worked hard for 40 years is now dwindling rappidly.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...