Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday...

....I Love Saturdays. So I'll say it three times. Saturday, Saturday, Saturday...

So many people out and about in their yards - not like during the work-week when you may see them rushing to or from their cars.

Now they are out in the yard, willing to stop and chat while I walk the pups. One woman tells me of her husband's hip replacement - one tells me of his day of fertilizing the yard, several wave as they ride past on their bicycles. Other dogs out for Braxton & Lulu to say "Hi" to...

Washed the windows on the outside. Love the look of fresh, clean windows while the sun shines.

Had the young neighbors over for dinner with their two boys, Oliver & Brahm. Good thing I had a bag of Matchbox cars that I picked up at a yard sale - kept them busy for quite a while. I think it's important to have toys around - too much to expect them to act as if they were "little adults". They are wonderful, energized little boys.

Tomorrow I am planning on sanding my navy-ugly-blue desk we picked up while thrifting. Here are some "before" photos....





But, here's the best part of this find....Yes - it was $12.oo !!





I'm going to paint it Robin's Egg Blue and we're adding a decorative scroll on the back as that's the part that will face outward when looking into my room.

We got some simple glass knobs and I will line the drawers with pretty scrapbook paper. I'm very excited because this will be my first attempt at re-finishing a piece. Look for "after" photos soon!

I want to buy a glass top for protection as well as a showcase for photos, etc. similar to what I have done with an old coffee table in the back room:


This was so much fun to fill with old photos - and I can change them to display new-old ones too!


And I have always wanted a hand. A hand? Yep, a hand....

Ah huh, I do have the "2 GI hands" (God Issued) , but I wanted one to keep rings and things on and I found this one at Home Goods.

It's kind of flimsy, but I really love it. I added the pink ribbon and the "remember" rub-on. I like the way it turned out, I just wish it was sturdier.

Well, that's about all I've got for today. Stay tuned for the updates on my desk - I think it will be perfectly-wonderfully-wonderful when I'm all through!

Have an awesome Sunday, Sunday, Sunday....

-me

7 comments:

Mary said...

That desk will be just lovely when you've worked your magic on it - and such a bargain!

Thanks for joining in my enthusiasm for the baby wrens - I just feel so blessed to see them in the garden and know they have all survived. They seem to be having such fun learning to fly etc.

Glad you had a fun Sat., here's to Sunday.

The Feathered Nest said...

I just love the desk Colleen!! It has such good lines ~ I know it will look wonderful when you're finished with it..and the pictures with glass, perfect! Have a great Sunday ~ xxoo, Dawn

Jan said...

I can't wait to see the finished desk! I like it the way it is!
I'm with you with the hand thing! I've been looking for one, but just can't find what I want! And being the cheap...um...frugal person I am, I've gotta find one at a thrift or yard sale! Love the little pink ribbon you've added!
Hope your Sunday is perfect!

Jan

Cami said...

I have never been to a Home Goods and I feel deprived.

I'm an aqua junkie so I'm very keen on your desk revival. Looking forward to the end result. Lovely piece w/ great lines.

I bought my one and only hand @ an antique mall. It's a glove mold from France and someone didn't know what they had and put $8.75 on it. So home it came. It lives in the bathroom and wears all the rings I own that I don't wear because my hands are always dirty because I'm always refinishing something.

Enjoyed this post so much I wrote a book!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Good afternoon to you Colleen! I love your "girl" family picture below! That is where I have mine to! Looking forward to seeing your table painted in that pretty blue and where you will be putting it. Great find! Hugs, Maryjane

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I can't wait to see your desk revamped!! I know it is going to be fantastic....

I love hands too. Yours look fab...
Penny

Anonymous said...

J'adore toutes ces photos placées avec des coupures de journaux, ou de papier !

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...