Friday, June 12, 2009

OK, so what could be better than....


Friday?

How about..payday Friday??

Better that that?

First day in 10 without rain-day ? (oops, it just started up again...)

OK, so now you're pushing it...what could be better than a no-rain-payday-Friday??

ALL YOUR PRAYERS HAVE HELPED!

Seriously! Larry's out of the hospital, is home (shhhh...even though he's a bit ..um..farther away from the hospital that what they told him he could be..shhh..)

And, I don't think he'd mind (he knows all about all of you sending up prayers and support) here's his email to me:

A few weeks ago, I started to lose control in my left arm and hand. Because of my minor stroke last July, and my cancer my doctor ordered a brain scan.

Saturday, June 6, I was on my horse just to see how well I could ride with a bad arm and hand. It was awkward but I did OK. I dismounted back at the house and tied the horse. Later I went to mount up and ride back to the corrals to unsaddle and put him up. I mounted awkwardly because of my left hand an arm. The horse sensed something was wrong and started to move off. I tried to hold him back but lost balance and couldn’t. I’m not sure just what happened, maybe a spur caught him or whatever. He started to buck and after about four jumps, I couldn’t hold on. I landed, pretty hard, on my left shoulder. Before the horse wreck, I could move the fingers on my left hand – after the wreck, I couldn't.

An ambulance took me to UMC and when the neurosurgeon/trauma doc checked the brain scan that I had just days earlier, he found that my cancer had spread to my brain. The tumors are too many and too dispersed for surgery. My treatment will be ten days of whole brain radiation and I will also be participating in a UA research study on a “chemo pill”. The idea is to extend the treatment to the tumors. Apparently the brain can only tolerate so much radiation and by continuing the chemo pill after radiation, treatment continues.

I will also be getting physical therapy for my hand and arm. I’m taking some drugs now to reduce the inflammation in the tumors and I’m getting some control back. I am feeling pretty good but still a little weak but I still have some fight in me! OOH RAH!!!
- Love, Yo Bro

Sooo, can you tell he's a former Marine? Yep..all "OOH RAH!" and spit & vinegar..

And the advice he received from our Canadian Cousins {Hello Wilf & Janie!} , the sentiment many of you have shared with him was ..

"Stay on the horse as long as you can"


Again, thank you all from the depths of our hearts for your prayers, your laughter, your tears and your love.

Wednesday I fly to Tucson where my 2 sisters will pick me up then drive the hour and a half to Larry's.

With the "Golden Girls" around (3 count 'em, three little sisters!) he won't have a chance to be down in the dumps for long :-)


Have a great Saturday and may God bless all of you, my sweet friends...

-me

12 comments:

Pearl said...

I love that picture of all of you and your brother rolling his eyes in the background, what a classic picture. Glad to hear your on your way to see him. Have a great visit with lots of laughs! Come on over and see my new vintage finds. Pearl

Art by Darla Kay said...

What a beautiful family! I'm wishing the best for Larry, he sounds amazing!!
Darla

Unknown said...

Larry appears to have the 'stuff that it takes' to get thru his trials and tribulations right now. Continuing to send prayers.

Heather said...

I'm glad he's home and there is a plan for him to get better. I love that he's a former marine. strong willed and a fighter! God bless him. We will continue to keep him in our prayers.

Lori R. said...

Stop by my blog when you have a minute, there is an award over there for you to pickup.

Betty said...

Thank you for sharing Larry's email; it really brings the story to life. I'm so glad you are going to get to see him and your beautiful sisters next week. Wish you could stop by here; but, I know you want to spend as much time with them as you can. Have a wonderful, safe trip and give Larry a big hug from me. We'll keep him (and all of you) in our prayers througout the coming months. Hope his treatments go well...he is one strong fighter! Must run in your family!

Adriana Whitney said...

I agree with Darla, what a beautiful family! I will say a prayer for Larry too.
Thank you for your encouraging words on my blog. They were a big help.
Love xoxo
Adri

Lori R. said...

Sure can tell you are all siblings in your pics! My prayers have not ended at all. Once you are on our prayer list, well, we just don't stop! I am glad you are getting a chance to spend some time together with the whole group. Travel safely.

diane b said...

What a great guy, you brother. So positive. Hopefully all the treatment is successful. Glad that you are going to see him with your sisters. You look a wonderful happy family. If they all have your sense of humour Larry is in for some good treatment.

Vee said...

Nothing like siblings to cheer one another up. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time together. Sounds like your brother is one of the finest Marines.

(What a great time you had at the church fair. I commend your hubby for recognizing a good one!)

Julie said...

My prayers are with Larry. Little sisters are the best. (I'm a Big Sis).

Laurie and Chris said...

I hope you have a wonderful visit!!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...