Wednesday, June 11, 2008

There are some things you just MUST speak out about...

...I am not in the practice of using my blog as a "soapbox" for political/social issues....

..but I must take a stand against the ruthless use of veggie-profiling being used in the media.

Case in point.........tomatoes.

For all tomatoes to take the fall for a few, well, heartbreaking is the word that comes to mind...
...well, maybe disappointing is a better word...
..or it could bummed ...dissed...sad...actually, a lot of words come to mind...

I found this (insert any/all of the above italicized words..) note on my counter this morning...along with a few snapshots left for fond rememberances...


Yes, Sam-n-Ella - our little tomato parents of the lovely Roma and the tomato-boy known in his 'hood' only as Beefsteak....

What can I say?? How can I tell them the truth - that the world will no longer have "BLT's" - oh no..now it will be "BLF's" - Bacon Lettuce...... and Fruit...

No more grilled cheese and tomato soup for those comfort-food-nights...now it will be grilled cheese and..... split pea ???

Salsa?? Nope. Chunky-style Lima beans and peppers on those tacos my friend...

Spaghetti and marinara?? Nada -zip - ...spaghetti and peanut sauce.

Bloody Mary's?? Just ......Mary's..... I guess....

V-8 is now reduced to ....V-7

Don't even get me started on pizza....

Life as we know it will be different. Until justice is done and the friendly tomato is exonerated of all bogus charges.....

Just giving you something to think about...consider it my PSA...(public service announcement for those who are shaking their heads at that one...)

-me

8 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

Now thats putting things into perspective!! Laurie

COLLS GARDEN said...

Hey Miss Guided (LMAO), what is going on with your tomatoes? I REEELY love my Romas. What gives?
Hugs, Coll :-}

Jan said...

Eric just bought tomatoes at Costco a couple of days ago...I supposed they're ok cause Costco was still selling them! : )
Love your little tomato family there, Colleen! : )

Jan

Unknown said...

It's all a plot...you can still buy the tomatoes on the vine...but, the cost goes up because the weight is increased by the vine itself...what do you think? A possibility?

Take care and "eat red anyhow".

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

To funny...last night we went to Bajio for dinner. DH was ruthless with the servers, "BUT I WANT TOMATO"..sir we don't have any..."YES YOU DO..I REALLY WANT TOMATO" Now we are sure to have an epidemic of heart disease without them! Blessings be with the tomato gods.

Mary said...

You are hilarious Colleen! On a more serious note, I doubt that many people will actually stop eating the warm and fragrant Summer tomatoes about to be harvested - how could we allow them all to waste away after the plants have struggled to get tall and strong, and bear such wonderful fruit.

Today my dh ordered a slice of 'Greek' pizza for me, fresh spinach and feta cheese.......covered with a little blanket of thinly sliced Roma tomatoes which I promply removed after the first bite. Shame on me - goes to show how the media has taken over our lives......and are trying to ruin them!!

Little Penpen said...

I bought and ATE some Roma tomatoes the very day the story came out about the salmonella. Thankfully, I had good tomatoes. I don't think I can stop eating them.... this scare must go away!

Pearl said...

You are too funny! Oh my I musn't encourage you should I?? thanks for the laugh

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...