Monday, June 14, 2010

The Mighty Tomato...

So, this has been a bittersweet week-end in Arizona..my brother’s horses were given to the local vet..he will work Choppo,


...continuing his voice commands and riding. Larry trusted this vet and liked him as well, so we know Choppo will be happy and loved.

Time has come for Tomato to say good-bye. It's sooo hard for a horse owner to decide when the horses’ quality of life is at the point that something needs to be done.

Well, the decision had to be made and so the Mighty Tomato is probably lookin’ around right now for Larry..hopefully they will find each other..



To place your horse's need for you to let him leave his failing body above your need to keep him with you - that - is the greatest and purest love.

-Cynthia Garrett



A large and liquid eye...the swirl of dust around pounding hooves...these, then, are the images that move us. - Author Unknown



When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk. He trots the air, the earth sings when he touches it. - William Shakespeare



Virtue shall be bound into the hair of thy forelock. I have given thee the power of flight without wings. - Author Unknown

And this one – for my sister, Gerri:

I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted. - Author Unknown

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet. ~Colette

-me

14 comments:

RoeH said...

That's so sad. I think I need a kleenex. I hate having to put animals down but I hate them having to suffer more. It's a two edged sword. Both decisions hurt.

Laurie said...

This tugs at my heart Colleen, I have owned several horses in my lifetime, and to lose one is the hardest thing. I'm sure Tomato is happy to be reunited with his owner, and the two are riding the sunsets together again.

Mellodee said...

Losing something or someone you love is the worst of the worst. It doesn't make one whit of difference if you own, dogs, cats, horses, or ferrets, when it is their time, it hurts and it is so difficult.

Vicki/Jake said...

Good for all of you, letting Tomato go find Larry. God's smiling Colleen.

Unknown said...

God bless the Mighty Tomato. i'm sure it was a sweet reunion with Larry! Sad for us though!

just call me jo said...

I believe your brother and Tomato are together. How hard this has been for your family and you. I'm so sorry. Love and hugs!

Emmy said...

I'm all choked up, now....that was a very touching story, Mrs. B and I"m sure thatyou're right: Tomato and Larry are certainly together. I know it wasn't easy, but I think you did the right thing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't think a day goes by where I haven't cried on someones blog.
((HUGS))

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Hard to do. But wise. And loving...

Breezy said...

OHhh so sad... I am sorry!
Doing the right thing isn't always easy.
(((HUGS)))

Sue said...

Bittersweet is so right. Glad to hear that Choppo is going to be well looked after and loved, and I have to believe that Tomato is too as
Larry and she meet up again.

A lovely selection of quotes Colleen and a lovely tribute to The Mighty Tomato.

Hugs

C'est moi Claudette said...

No matter if the animal weighs 2 ounces or 200 lbs or 1,000 lbs, it's hard. I'm saddened also Colleen. No words right now. It's raining, hard. Tears from heaven my friend.
Love Claudie
xoxox

Vee said...

Ohhh... How happy Larry and Tomato will be to see one another again. This is a wonderful tribute...sweet photos and sweet quotes.

Dapoppins said...

When my Dad had to lay the horse I loved to rest, he did it before he told me.... They are my most favorite beautiful, powerful animal.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...