Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Being sneaky is not for wimps...or "Can ya hear me now??"

Yeah, that's what I said...I was sneaky. And it's hard work...

Sending emails...calling with reminders...explaining what I wanted...and ..why...

Having an "objective"...doing follow-up...meeting deadlines...

No, I'm not talking about work here....

Nope, I'm talking about Mr. B's surprise birthday greetings...
.
Yep. Hard work. The sneaky part. Checking emails while looking over my shoulder to see if he was walking by...

Making those late-night long-distance calls...

Having to change the conversations in mid-stream because he came into the room...

Printing pictures out at 2 am....then realizing all the one's you just printed out, as you were slowly dozing off while waiting..had turned a mucky-ucky color because the ink cartridge ran out.

Ever tried to change an ink cartridge in the glow of your computer monitor and the printer's on-button light for the only light source??

I didn't think so.

It's hard work...being sneaky. (But Mr. B's birthday family-photos were TOTALLY worth it!!)
...but I'm just sayin'....

Sooo, at my REAL job today, I was a bit, ah, not-totally-concentrating?

Yeah. That about sums it up. Not reeeealy thinking. The old brain just a little sludgy.

Sleep deprivation and all..not to mention having to remember all the stuff I was being sneaky about..hard, hard work..being sneaky..

So I was a little rum-dumb.

Case in point..

I have the option to listen to headphones while I work (it's a very quiet environment) as long as I can hear the phone and respond accordingly.

Easy, no? One would think so.

So I get these new headphones that are the flip-over-your-ear with a little thingy to hold them on- I can't do the ear buds - the ONLY place I'm small is in ears.

Oh, and my ear-lobes.... pierced earrings stab my head all the time...(another story..)

...so I can't use those cool looking ear buds- and I don't want those 70's big ol honkin' headband ones..


And the phone thingy is wireless and just goes over one ear - I'm right-eared
...and you are..??

Anyway, I have a "system" now...the left ear has the music "one-headphone-thing " workin' - and the right ear has the phone earpiece..and potentially.......the customers.

I'm listening to music... la la la

The phone rings..in my right ear...

"Hello- yadda yadda yadda..."

Well, we - the customer in my left ear and I - have to wait while the computer pulls up something in her account... la la la

I apologize "sorry this is taking a minute..the computer is "thinking"...la la la ..

"Well, at least we have Kenny Chesney to keep us company..la la la"

"Huh?"

"this song - dontcha just love it.."

"what song??"

"Oh" sheepishly "you can't hear it, huh?"

"Ah..no......."

"Hmm.."

For whatever reason, in my sleep-deprived and sneaky-tired mind, I thought she could .....ah.......yeah...hear my music...ah...through my head....

Told ya. being sneaky is hard work.

And, bad for your brain.

Give your brain a rest today...and go listen to Kenny Chesney a little...in your OWN head..
-me

1 comment:

A Wild Thing said...

I'm a righty too, but when I fall asleep into the keyboard, it is always on the left side...that's a good thing right...zzzzzzzzzzz

sharon

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...