Sunday, February 10, 2008

How can this be....????

Yesterday, my first child, a girl named April, turned 40.



Huh..????

How can that be when I am only, like, 34 myself???

OK, so that last part is in my head, but you know what I mean.

Funny thing though - April has always been older than me. Really.

She's was wise and mature beyond her years.

Responsible. Smart. Determined. Straight as an arrow...

Still is. Almost a year ago she received her Bachelor's degree, graduating summa cum laude, “with highest honor”; direct translation: “with highest praise” in, get this, finance! ( and to think I don't do math..)

This accomplishment after raising a wonderful family with 3 great kids, with a son in college, while working full time in the finance world, and maintain a strong and beautiful marriage.

Yep, I'm proud.
And a bit confused....

I mean, I know she's mine. One reason I know is that she was so beautiful when she was born.
Everyone (even th doctors & nurses) was surprised because newborns are not usually so pretty.
Everyone said so. So when I took her home from the hospital, I knew they had given me the correct child - there was no mix-up in babies - she was mine....

(disclaimer: I'm not just being prejudiced. My other children looked surprisingly like little Winston Churchill's, or Jabba the Huts...)

And she certainly didn't get it from her biological father - my starter edition husband, version 1.0
( you ladies know what I'm talking about - like the first edition of a computer program - )

.......it stops working - you have to "re-boot" all the time...

.......had a lot of data but was still clueless.

........as soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little longer you could have had a better model.

.......hard to figure out and never have enough memory.

And, the computer's communication is most often a one-way .......

Sound familiar??
Had to upgrade to the great system I have now - Husband 2.0 - Highly recommend this one!
anyway...

......my beautiful, smart, determined, ambitious and A-type personality daughter turned 40 yesterday.

Happy Birthday, Honey.
I am forever proud of you and forever confused as to how I got so lucky to have you in my life. I may have given you life, ......but you gave me a reason to live....


I love you April.........

XXOO
-mom

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is NO QUESTION she is yours...she is every bit as beautiful as you, inside and out! Love, Betty

Anonymous said...

I love her Your name .. April. Happy Birthday.I love the first picture.Grammie you look beautiful.

the tattered nest said...

what a sweet post! your daughter is blessed to have a mother like you! Happy birthday April...

Little Penpen said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful April! A funny post (about the version 1.0 husband) and a very sweet post about your daughter!

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

I have an April...granddaughter who will be graduating from college this summer (UNLV)....must be something in the name. My son will be 40 in March and I too am only 34 and have been holing that for 24 yrs.......beautiful girl and love the pictures.....

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...