Friday, April 10, 2009

Bathing caps in my shower..

Think back...far back...to "Bathing Caps"..

..no, not THAT far back...although those were MUCH cuter that the one's I wore...


Betcha you're wondering why I am writing about bathing caps..

..no?

Well...... let's just pretend you're interested..

I was getting out of the shower today and I thought....you {used} to use a shower cap in the shower...

..but a bathing cap in the pool..Hmm..

Why didn't they just call them swim caps? (which I think they did in later years..LONG after I had given up on any kind of head cover while swimming..or swimming for that matter..reasons listed below...)

But then I remembered, we call(ed) swim suits bathing suits...

Don't know about you, but I never wore one in the tub...

Here's a couple advertising that hair would be totally dry, and apparently, perfectly styled, right out of their bathing caps...Oh look, they already are calling them "Swim caps"!



...however, may I remind you that if either of these two really did go swimming {doubt it} in their "caps" they'd look a lot like Tammy Faye Baker coming out of the pool with that much eye make-up on..

Oh, here's some from the 70's. Playtex (yeah, the bra makers) thought they were soo stylish, you could drive around in them in your convertible..in a bikini..with a bunch of mannequin friends...and is she driving IN the water?? {and, she doesn't appear to havea bathing cap on ....??Hmmm?} It's a wonder she has no friends??



As for me, I looked more like the one on the right...actually..she looks BETTER than I did..

Maybe price was the issue - I never got one of those flowery ones that looked so cool..I had one that was ruBbEr..and tight..and white...with a chin strap that is oh-so-lovely sitting smack dab in the middle of a double chin, making your neck look like a side view of a Parker House Roll...

..your eyebrows are now squeezed into a uni-brow , have been pushed down your face, actually sitting on top of your eyes..and you remember what the Cro-Magnon man looks like in your schoolbooks....it appears you also have no ears, what with the cap covering them...you can't hear...... {maybe that's a good thing - I mean, with the sound of a whole public pool laughing and all...}

..and if you failed to make contact with the snap on the other side, the metal thingy would snap-back and get you right in the thumb..now you look like a volley ball, feel like your finger looks if you have a rubber band too tight around it - all red and bursting - and your thumb nail is...black and blue..

...AND, you have a uni-brow.

Yep, you're a deaf, Cro-Magnon, back-nailed, Parker House Roll necked, uni-brow..chub-ette going for a swim with friends.

Just kill me now.


So, what do YOU think about in the shower??

-me

11 comments:

Heather said...

oh my goodness! you come up with the greatest topics!

Neabear said...

Fun post. Do people still wear them? I can remember wearing one as a kid. This is indeed funny.

RoeH said...

I could never see the sense of caps. We'd fix our hair up 'real nice' for that boy to notice you when you got out of the pool..ocean...lake...etc- and then take off our cap and we looked like something the swamp drudged up because the water ALWAYS got in there anyway. Never did I look like Gidget with bouncy bouncy hair. Life is hard.

diane b said...

Hey, Lucy, advertising has a lot to answer for. Grammie you are ahoot with your unusual topics.I can remember some of those caps but it wasn't long before I didn't bother with them. My best experiences with swim caps is when we took our class to swim lessons.There would be about 20 6 year olds and I had to put all their caps on. The girls with long hair were the worst, but I developed a technique and was the fastest out of all the teachers to get 20 caps on.

Vee said...

Ahhh, but did your ever bathe in your swimming suit? It was a common practice in my corner. One just showed up at the lake with all the kids, towels, and a bar of soap. Saturday night baths from June through September. I cringe to think of it now.

There's a vague memory of my wearing a cap that nearly squeezed my brains out. Oh no! That's what happened to me!

Reading one of your posts remains a highlight of my day!

Happy Easter!

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

Happy Easter!!

Hugs~Kimme

Karen said...

I guess I was lucky because I never remember wearing a swim cap. It brings back memories of going to the lake in town twice a week for swim lessons with all the kids in the whole neighborhood. The moms would bring a picnic lunch and sit on the beach and gab while we had a blast in the water...with no swim caps in sight.

A Wild Thing said...

Oh my God!!!...you're killin' me here...I couldn't have said it better myself...they were invented by men right...you know, the ones that never had to wear anything uncomfortable in their lives...'cept you know what, but they liked it cause it enhanced...whatever...what were they thinking and like the dutiful sheep we were...and I repeat...WERE, we wore them and every other ridiculous fashion statement they conjured up...

Oh, that felt good...thanks I needed that!

Have a happy Easter friend!

sharon

Betty said...

I've been wondering...females had to wear swim caps so their hair wouldn't clog the pool filters. Guys didn't have to, even when they had long hair. Guess who wrote the "Rules of the Swimming Pool"??

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Charmingdesigns said...

I love it...I found a New Old swim cap at a thrift store not to long ago...I asked Stacey if she had any idea what it was...she said...why on earth would anyone wear one of those...and I laaaughed!! I remember I had to pay 10cents to swim at the public swimming pool...and had to borrow one of their caps.lol. oh the memories.lol Laurie

Laurie said...

I just read your blog for the first time and what a riot! I remember bathing caps well. I still remember the smell just by thinking back. I'd put mine on, and there was like an air bubble formed on the top of my head, I think it kept me from sinking! Thanks (or not) for the memories!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...