Wednesday, March 19, 2008

OK, so I know I'm "singin' to the choir", but....



...this cooking dinner every night is hard work. I've always worked outside the home and am fortunate enough to have a hubby that likes to cook..and shop..and build...



And I have, through the years, on occasion, albeit very rarely, enjoyed cooking a new recipe..or something fancy for a dinner party.

I was like, "OK, that was fun - been there, made it, move on....I'm sooo done"



But now that I'm between jobs, I feel it is a help to Mr. B to cook. And shop. And I'm thinking it soo not fun...



However, yesterday, between episodes of Judge Alex and Judge Judy (I listen to those to re-affirm that I am not all that disfunctional...) I caught an episode of Paula Deen...you know...."Butter is our frieeeend!"



And I actually tried 2 of them....one a main dish and one a dessert.


The main dish was...OK..actually good, but for a "from scratch version of Hamburger Helper" it was a LOT of work..and a LOT of messy dishes and pans.



As for the dessert...YUM-O doesn't due it justice. If I could live on dessert (...wait..you're saying I can't??)..this one would be in my repertoire.

Banana Split Cake (but it's more like a square pie..)

Both recipes can be found on her site or just let me know and I'll email them to you.

Well, how's that workin' for ya? I just found out I have to do this all over again tomorrow!!

OK, OK, so we have to eat every day, I get it....

I'm taking my garlic-smelling fingers and my onion-tear-stained face and my dishwater dry hands and going to bed..thank goodness Mr. B doesn't "do" breakfast!
-me

8 comments:

madrekarin said...

Oh, goodness. Banana Split cake sounds divine!! I love your new menu platter. Tres chic! :)
Have fun with Emily. Somehow, I think you will.

~~~~~d~~~~ said...

You are too funny. :) I love to hear that you don't really enjoy the domesticated part of cooking etc. Makes me feel normal when I tend to boycott and go to Johnny Carinos.

lol
You're too cute. Happy Easter
d

Mary said...

LOL! I cooked everyday for years and years when my kids were growing up and now all I want to do is eat out. WHEN i'm in the mood and WHEN I have the time, I like to make new recipes but not till i'm good and ready!

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to get past the "3sticks of butter" part of the recipe...my arteries are screaming. Surely does sound good, though. Maybe I can try it on a smaller scale (ooh, not good to put "scale" in with this recipe!) Thanks for the information. Enjoy Denver! Betty

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

When all the kids left home, I told everyone I took the kitchen out.....Jay does most of the cooking and when I do coook it is usually me and "George: Love George!!! Quick easy and very little clean up. Love the Menu plate...you can buy plates at Good will all the time...evrybody needs a message board.....

white o'morn cottage said...

I am drooling!...Pam

THE TATTERED NEST said...

you go girl! I know that had to taste better than hamburger helper. I am trying to get away from all the prepackaged stuff, I have been making more and more from scratch...at least I know what I am eating...gave up diet coke! yay!

the old schoolhouse said...

hi colleen, oh your making me hungry , but cant get my head around starting from scratch so ill just make do with whats ready have a great trip angie