Thursday, March 6, 2008

The more things change.....

....the more they stay the same.

Old saying.

However, when I was walking the pups it just sort of popped into my head.

Which is not that unusual.

Lots of things pop into my head. Lots. Lots of pops.

Anyway, while we were walking and not talking (they don't have much to say to me while they walk and answer all their "pee mail") I guess I have all this silence in my head.

Because of who I'm not talking to, too.

Which is hard. If you haven't guessed, I'm a talker..

A talker and a walker..pretty talented, wouldn't you say??

So I got to thinking about when I was about 16. AGES ago. But they had malls then. We called them "Shopping centers"..we also called microwaves "radar ranges" which I think is a hoot... I think that was when I was about 19 or 20...



We'd go to the malls and look at the people.


I still do this.

When I was 16 I'd look at all the old people and laugh at how they were dressed ..

Now I am an "older" person and I look at the 16 year olds and laugh at how they dress..

When I was 16, I really didn't like little kids.

Now that I'm older, I don't like some big kids.

When I was 16, I waited for school to be out...now I wait for work to be out.


When I was 16, I thought older people looked so old...wait, I still think older people look so old..

In my head, sometimes I am still 16. Sometimes in my actions I am still 16 (probably not in a good way - a less than mature way..)

But, I think I'm glad I'm not 16. I'm too tired to be 16..no wait, I was tired all the time when I was 16!

So, other than the gray hair, the skin that has become baggy, the walking weird (not that I'm a 'weird -walker'- but I have this bum knee) the glasses, the lack of patience for rudeness, and the very low numbers on my driver's license where it puts your date of birth....in the words of yet another country song with a lesson..., "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good ONCE as I ever was.."

Maybe I should wear an iPod when I walk....less quiet to think in....


Try to remember today when you were 16 - how have things changed - or NOT changed. you may just get a smile out of it.

-me

8 comments:

the tattered nest said...

Isn't that the truth? 16 was good for me, but I don't think I want to be 16 again...what a cute couple you and Mr!

The Feathered Nest said...

What a great post Colleen!! I so love your comparison on the two ages...so different, so the same! What a great picture of you and your hub, you're adorable!! xxoo, Dawn

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

Funny, yesterday I went to the foot doctor and when i entered the waiting room..the first thing that hit me was ..all these people are old. Ugly podiatry tan shoes and pull up pants.....I thought ia am not that old but maybe I am...NO, I am not. May be 60 yrs in age but not in spirit.....

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face...I really enjoyed this post, Colleen!

Xerofall said...

Made me think of when I was 16... so I blogged it on my site...

-Jeff

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

LOL! I loved this post, and I feel exactly the same way! I love Toby Keith by the way :-). And you and hubbie look wonderful in that picture!
Penny

Anonymous said...

Im alot calmer hehe. I guess I had to get some of the woldness out or people couldn't stand me now. I like you am a talker. If im i town I talk to everyone and even the ones that snob me lol.
I have to tell you I love the picture. Your are so beautiful and the two of you together make an awsome couple.

Little Penpen said...

Love the picture of you and hubby! I can relate to laughing at old people when we were young, and now laughing at young people! Funny!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...