Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What's that I smell...??



I have a very good sense of smell.

Just ask my husband. I can tell from the other room if he had a hot dog with mustard on the way home. Or, Heaven forbid, a beer...not that he ever does that (!)

This can be both a blessing and a curse...

Take cows. It's not easy working next to a field of them.

Or roses. Now that's a scent I can live with - until it's phony-roses-smell. You know, the ones in the spray can, or in the potpourri or the candle? Yuck-O...

But smells can take me back in time too.

Am I the only one who remembers Jade East? It was "cologne of choice" for the high school boys in my class. That and English Leather.

And what's that all about? Like English leather smells any better that, oh I don't know, Texas leather??

Oh, the questions I have.....

And the girls, Tabu. Then I went on to Estee Lauder's Youth Dew..... (insert expensive...heeheehee)

Which is a pretty disgusting name if you ask me -(Not Estee Lauder, bless her heart) ....."Youth Dew"? Youth DEW???

I was wearing it one day in a line somewhere when a 20-something girl asked if I was wearing Youth Dew?

Gearing up for a great compliment, I say, smartly, "Why yes, yes it is!"...then she said, "Oh, you smell just like my GRANDmother. That reminds me, I need to call her today!"

Little miss perky just smashed my day.

But anyway, when I went out with the pups this morning, the wind was blowing. Which for most folks isn't all that significant. Unless you live in Florida, or Texas, where the wind might just take your trailer-house away...

OK, so it was windy. In the Salt Lake Valley that usually means "lake effect" smell. Speaking of Yuck-Oooooo...

Sulphur. Mixed with brine shrimp. Mixed with mud. And it blows into our sweet neighborhoods with a vengeance.

But not this morning. For some reason, all I could smell was......nice. Like laundry in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Or like some one's garden with Petunias - or lilacs. Or baby powder ..or some deodorants....

It was a wonderful way to start my day.

Then tonight, after a rather blah dinner of hamburgers from a fast food place, I started smelling a good smell....

What was that??

Can't be all the left over french fries..or the dead onion rings....

Can't quite put my finger, or nose on it, until my Mother-in-Law walks upstairs with a plate of homemade cinnamon rolls...

What a wonderful way to end my day!

So here's to good smells, to high school boys and perky-pesty-girls.

Oh, and don't forget the brine shrimp......
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Nice to meet you! So glad you stopped by! I love your blog! I'm adding you to my list. Keep in touch ok! bye!

Melissa said...

yes-by the way-I am a scrap booking junkie! I LOVE to scrap! I would love to make a living out if it! I have an Etsy store online with my mother in law and sister in law. Check it out. Heart2Home.etsy.com

Mrs.Kwitty said...

LOL--I had to laugh because my hub has an OLD bottle of Jade East that he will bust out on special occasions. I don't care--on him it smells great!
Smiles, Karen

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...