Saturday, October 6, 2007

The focus on Sunday will be my sister Kathy....


Sunday is HER birthday!

Yep, one day after mine. (I must remind you here, it was several year later that I was born...

......After her...

.........she's older, get it? Good....OK...)

....even when she was a child, she was beautiful. I don't think she ever went through that gawky age that I did. Or the tom-boy age that Gerri did.

She was always elegant, statuesque, pretty and OLDER.

She was "la princessa" around the house.

Never got her hair messed up. Never had a run in her stocking. I don't think she ever knew what a zit was.....

And she had a "presence"....

Regal ?....hmmmm, maybe, demanding? ....maybe, just a little.....

Like, one time she made me stand outside and whistle when her boyfriend came to pick her up. Need I remind you we grew up in Arizona? And, it was probably hot? And there might have been bugs, or snakes, or ....cowboys???

But, no, I had to stand out there and WHISTLE when her boyfriend pulled up. Like I could even whistle back then...

Then one time she bet me I couldn't stand on one leg then lift the other up...I tried... I fell...she laughed....

OK, so I was like 4 and I thought I could do it....

....Bygones...

We still tease her about always being the picture of perfection. Even now, she always is "put-together"...always looks good.

Even when she walks at like dark-thirty AM, she has her face on, her clothes ironed, and matching socks! Probably jewelry too.

If I have make-up on at all when I walk the pups, it's from the night before. And the matching outfit? If the PJ bottoms and the tops even are from the same season, I feel lucky.

Once, I noticed I had on two different colored Crocks!

Note to self: turn on the light in the morning when getting dressed...

Even in the photo above, you can see Gerri had a knot of hair on the top of her head that has a life of it's own.....I have the too-short-bangs-from-hell and hair pushed behind my ginormous ears.....

But Kathy, NOooooooo....

She had the Farah Faucet Flip before there was a Farrah Faucet!

Hostile you say?? Mean you say??? Jealous you say???

No, no, and no.....(ok, maybe a little envious.....)

You see, Kathy's "perfection" has taught me a lot over the years. About self-esteem. About striving to be your best. About friendship and friendliness. About service. And about humor.

She is a great role model, a great sister and a great friend. She has taught me to learn from other women, to honor the differences... and to celebrate the friendship and wisdom of women....

She has a circle of friends that would do anything for her because there's no doubt she'd do the same for any of them.

She's my hero and my friend.

And she's a great shopper!

Hey, that's a marketable skill, right?

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY, and have a great year.

And remember, I will always need material for my blog.....

Love ya Sis!
Me
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truely flattered, and I am so lucky to have a sister like you. My sister, my friend, I love you.


Kathy

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a lovely tribute to your sister!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...