Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The art of sleeping...or not

When I first heard Aerosmith sing about not sleeping.....

"Don't want to close my eyes..don't want to fall asleep ............cause I'd miss ya baby....And I don't want to miss a thing..."

...it reminded me of my Mother's complaining when the kids were too excited to sleep.... like when we had family over or it was Christmas Eve.

She would always say "they don't want to go to bed. They're afraid they'll miss something.."

And she said it like that was a bad thing. I don't think it was.

I totally understand it.

I know I complain about not sleeping or about Lulu not letting me sleep...

The fact is, I'm afraid I'll miss something.

I really don't like sleeping. Oh, don't get me wrong - it is delicious! To be all cuddly under the covers and dream sweet dreams...

....but I can't seem to shake the feeling that I'll miss something.

When I used to be a real "go-getter", I thought sleeping was a waste of time. I don't feel that way at all now. I fully understand that we need to sleep. And I like to sleep.....

To refresh. To rejuvenate. To not be crabby....

However, since all my surgeries, and trying to wake-up in post-op and realizing I had indeed survived, I am so weary of missing something, of not being able to fully awake...of being so groggy ......

As we prepare to go on a much needed vacation ONE WEEK FROM THURSDAY!!...(insert the happy dance here...) I am having dreams about being so tired that I sleep for the 4 days we have at the cabin in Yellowstone....

I guess I'd consider those nightmares...

...but I really don't want to miss a thing!

So I guess my thought for today is, life's too short to miss anything...take it all in..sleep when and how you must...but when you're awake....

be aware.....be grateful.....be observant.....be AWAKE.......don't miss a thing!

No comments:

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...