Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sometimes, they surprise you...still..

..it can make a Mother proud...

Jeff & Rachael..the latest members for become a part of our family..well, Jeff has always been, but Rachael is our newest Daughter-in-Law...


On the night before Christmas Eve, they hear about the "big storm" that was to hit the valley..so they decided to give Mr. B his Christmas present early....

Yeppers...a snow blower! Mr. B has wanted one, but seeing how we only get bad storms about twice a season, couldn't justify the purchase. After all, our driveway and sidewalk are relatively small...


You should have seen his face light up! and then, when he actually got to use it...well, you know "boys and their toys"..he did our sidewalks, the neighbors to the left, the neighbors to the right...

...if the snow plow hadn't made an appearance, I think he would have done the whole street!

Then there's this..a handmade quilt wall hanging..

..complete with a pretty rod to hang it on..made by Rachael's VERY talented Mother..

Pretty, huh?

OK, so kids give their parents gifts for Christmas. And we love the gifts. But, I got another "gift" today when I spoke with Jeff - a gift he didn't know he was giving me...

He- Jeff- collects GI Joe's. Seriously. a C.O.L.L.E.C.T.O.R. He was even written up on CNN for his GI Joe collection and his work cubicle, then decorated in GI Joe.

So he and Rachael were looking at a website for good buys from private sellers. They were excited to find one in driving distance that seemed to have a lot to sell.

Whoopie! Bargain! New ones! Old ones! Be still my (Jeff's ) heart!

They find a "Grandfather-type" with some great finds. He explains he bought them for sons, grandsons, but "needed" to sell them now.

Why?

Seems one grandson has leukemia. Chemo is VERY expensive. Bummer. To the max.

Jeff looks over what he has to sell, realizes the Grandpa is WAAAY undercharging, mostly because, obviously, he doesn't know how much they're worth.

Jeff and Rachael don't hesitate. They tell him so. Then they stay and help him put together the best offerings - give pricing suggestions.

Jeff remembers he has some pieces the old man is missing, and gets those so some of the incomplete collections are now complete.

Jeff purchases a few little things, but tell the man he'll do so much better on-line.

Wow. Yes, everyone's kids are good. Every mother is proud.

But today, as I sit at work, I realize my Christmas just got a belated present.

Surprised? Maybe a just little. Proud?

Youbetcha.

-me

13 comments:

diane b said...

What a great pair of kids you have there, no wonder you are proud of them. Mr B and his snow blower made me laugh. That is exactly the sort of thing my Mr B would do.

Little Penpen said...

Wow! What great gifts you guys received. I LOVE the quilted hanging! BEAUTIFUL!

Sherry said...

Give yourself a pat on the back for having a girl that do that and picking a man that would too!

Go Mr. B. He will be prayin' for snow! I have a feeling everyone on your block will have clear sidewalks.LOL

Betty said...

How could your children NOT be just wonderful...with parents like you and Mr. B?! Doesn't surprise me that Jeff and Rachael are so very kind and giving...look who they learned from (I assume Rachael's parents are wonderful, too, since she is).

Happy blowing!

Margaret Cloud said...

That was a nice gift and what a nice person your husband is to help out others. Your boy and his wife are nice to help out dad, I hear GI Joe's are worth money especially the older ones. Thank you for coming by.

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Colleen that is a wonderful tribute to you as parents. The quilt is beautiful...I wish we didn't need snowblowers so often, but good to have...and the goodness of your son to be so honest and sincerely good..brings tears to my eyes! Then again I'm such a teary eyed girl! Enjoy the cold sunshine today!

Neabear said...

What a wonderful thing for your son to do for that gentleman! Wow! That just gives me the goosebumps.

Laurie and Chris said...

You have some great kids!! You should be proud!! I love the quilt it is just amazing. I bet you can't wait to hang it.

The Feathered Nest said...

I'm so happy for Mr. B and his new toy!!! Men do love them...but I love new gadgets too! What a sweet thing for your son to do for that man ~ moments like that make your heart swell and know that you did good as a moma! Happy weekend Collen, xxoo, Dawn

Charmingdesigns said...

What an awesome story!!! Laurie

A Wild Thing said...

The most wonderful gift a parent can receive...the knowing that what you did was right...and it shows.

Way to go Mom!!!

sharon

Mary said...

Fabulous story - great kids!!
Even greater parents I suspect!!!

And I promise never to dress like that - unless I'm jailed for something!!!!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful wall hanging, what a treasure.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...