Sunday, January 4, 2009

I sit with tears...


..as I read another's blog - her beautiful Golden Retriever, just 6 years old, died unexpectedly today.

This is the hardest part of loving, isn't it? Saying goodbye. Even though we know God calls everyone home...

It would be easier to shut out the pain - not to put our hearts out there again - only to have to loose another friend - we know it is inevitable - our pets do not live as long as we do.

But, we must. To close ourselves off is to miss out on the love, devotions and loyalty of a pet, whether it's a dog, a cat, a chicken or a turtle.

But it hurts. So bad. My heart actually hurts for her. The pain is unmistakable and familiar.

I found this - author unknown (or so it said - sorry that I can't give proper credit) and I thought it may just help a little. It's all I can do - I'd like to offer hugs and prayers for her and her family as well. Please join me - for Julie at http://celticanamcara.blogspot.com/ (Celtic Lady) :

I was standing on a hillside, in a field of blowing wheat
And the spirit of a Golden Retriever was lying at my feet.
She looked at me with kind dark eyes, ancient wisdom shining through
And in the essence of her being her love shone clear and true.

Her mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there on that day
And she told me of this story about a place so far away.
Her tale did put my heart at ease, my fears did fade away
About what lay ahead of me on another distant day..

"I live among God's creatures now in the heavens of your mind
So do not grieve for me, my friend for I am with my kind.
My collar is a rainbow's hue, my leash a shooting star.
My boundaries are the Milky Way where I sparkle from afar.

There are no pens or kennels here, and I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens among my Retriever kind.
I nap the day on a snowy cloud, gentle breezes rocking me
And dream the dreams of Earthlings and how it used to be.

The trees are full of liver treats and tennis balls abound
And Milkbones line the walkways just waiting to be found.
There even is a ring set up - the grass all lush and green
And everyone who gaits around becomes the Best of Breed.

For we're all winners in this place, we have no faults, you see
And God passes out those ribbons to each one, even me.
I drink from waters laced with gold my world a beauty to behold
And wise old dogs do form my pride to amble at my very side.

At night I sleep in an angel's arms, her wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us as stardust falls on thee.
So when your life on earth is spent, and you stand at Heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness for here, you know that I await".



I am so very sorry, Julie.

-me

4 comments:

diane b said...

That is sad to lose a pet. I'm having a sad day too as I had an email from my sister in law in London saying my brother is deteriorating, he is dying with liver cancer.

A Wild Thing said...

I lost a best friend last year to liver cancer and a son in law to brain cancer...the sorrow never ends, but the memories live on and I say thanks continually for them.

There is always hope just beyond the horizon, that's why my next pet will come from the Humane Society...little hope there unless we try to save a life and continue to educate the masses into neutering. Sometimes getting a pet in need of a home, is the best medicine for the loss...they are struggling with hope too.

My thoughts are with the families in their time of loss.

Sherry said...

Oh how sad. So sorry for Julie. So sweet of you.

Anonymous said...

Yes loving is giving there heart and it sure breaks when someone we love is gone. my pets are like my babies as I know yours are.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...