Being raised Irish-Catholic, is, as any Irish-Catholic can attest to, well.... different than the other–nationality based Catholic upbringing...
For instance, it is wrought with guilt…”you can’t do that” , “can’t eat that on this day”, or “it’s a sin if you even THINK about that”..sort of guilt.
And my Mother was, for a time, the West Coast Distributor of Guilt.
"Please tell me he's Catholic..." she said upon meeting Mr. B for the first time..
"No Mother, he's not."
"Jeeeeesusmaryandjoseph...well, is he Irish?? "
"Ah..um..hmm.. sorry. I think he's...Scotch..or English...but, but...I have seen his family name on a poster of 'The Pubs of Ireland'..??!?!"
So it goes without saying that I feel badly about cheating..you know, eating “off-plan” as I have during the holidays.
Guilty. As charged. And I find I want to apologize to EVeryONe, especially my Weight Watcher’s group for …well…cheating...
And, as all good Catholic girls knows, confession is good for the soul. And also to receive the penance the Father gives that will somehow abolish all your sins…
"Say 2 Our Fathers, and 14 Hail Marys..yadda, yadda, yadda” (although I never actually heard a priest say 'yadda, yadda, yadda'...)
Yep…good for the soul all right…
“Ahem…um..excuse me? Yoo-Hoo?! I have something to say..Anyone? Anyone? Buhler, Buhler??
Bless me Weight Watcher’s for I have sinned. It has been 2 weeks since my last weigh-in. The sins I am most sorry for are:
· The chocolate-drop cookies eaten while standing up at the sink so as not to drop crumbs…(and be wasteful..another admonition from my Mother..)
· The cheese enchilada casserole made by Mr. B with 3 tons of sharp- natural Cheddar-Jack mix – R.E.A.L. cheese!
· Stolen fudge from Mr. B’s private stash…homemade and smooth... and creamy... and yummy..and .NO NO!
· The sweet-potato fries at the new burger joint – and telling myself and everyone around- “Hey- they’re SWEET potatoes – they’re good for you!”
OK..Colleen...here’s your penance:
· drink 8 glasses of plain water – no Sweet-n-Low or a lemon squeeze
· Do Not park close to the office- walk, yea through the valley of snow and slush and be not afraid-if ye fall…...ye fall. Get up.
· DO 3 Hail Marys (that’s a football move- I heard it in a movie once and thought it would be cute here.. and it is probably physical and can be counted as...exercise...)
· Only use stairs…the 27 stories to your office...
(no there are not any 27 story buildings in Utah..it’s “creative license”..we're on the second floor..but it IS 27 steps...about..)
“OK, OK, I feel sufficiently guilty now. Can I go home??”
“Yes. But go directly home..do pass Del Taco..do not stop for a Diet Coke at 7-11….and give me another 2 glasses of water before bed….”