Tuesday, January 6, 2009

As Mr. B and I were watching TV last night.....

..we commented on the verbiage they are using now for ..."Re-Runs"..

"Encore Presentation!"
..yeah..another re-run.

Mr. B said "they (whoever "they" are) must think we're a wee bit daft"..OK, what he really said is..

"They think we're stupid"

Well, I don't think YOU'RE stupid, or daft...so this is a re-run of my post from one year ago.

When I re-read it (or...encore read it..?) I realized it's as true as it was last year...and yes, I am still struggling...

So, for your reading pleasure....the Encore Presentation of Jan. 6th, 2008:

....I am a plant murderer....

There, I've said it.

But it's not without tedious tending, worrying, fretting, and thought that I tell you this now.

Please, please don't buy me flowering, living, breathing plants for any occasion...ever...

See, I love them when they are given, so bright and cheery. Pretty blooms and all.

They look all sorts of healthy and vital...then a mere 2 days later...they start drooping.

The blooms start falling off, the leaves curl and shrivel and I feel SO guilty.

"GET SOME WATER OVER HERE, STAT!"

I give it some water and talk lovingly to it, and it revives its self as if by magic! Oh Joy!

Only to find the joy short-lived. By they next day, they cycle continues.

Droop. Guilt. Water. Springy! Happy! Droop. Uber-Guilt.

I try. I really do.......

Sometimes for months on end...January, February, even into March...to get these living, breathing things to live a productive and beautiful life..

But, they fail to give any more pleasure and become a burden....

They mock me and my efforts......they drop leaves at my feet as I scurry by, not wanting to make eye-contact with them..

Do I stop giving all nourishment, stop the sweet-talk, stop hoping.....

Do I actually "pull the plug" and let these things die in peace??

Or is it my guilt that keeps them hanging on, for one more day, one more leaf, one spot of sunshine....


I want to sneak out into the night, put them on the side of the house where no one can see them suffer...and wait for them to...die....a silent, cold, lonely death....

Can I do this? Am I strong enough?? Can I think of the "greater good" of all??

Or will I succumb to the guilt and give them another drink - let them see the sunshine once more, clean up their dropped little leaves??

No! I must be strong! I will let them die....all the way.....and clean up the mess, once and for all!

Toss the green-plastic pots dressed up in pretty foil...see the dried earth and the root ball as it slips into the trash bin....
'Tis done. Over.

So, in the future, if you want to give me anything, give me an inanimate object that requires nothing from me in the way of nurturing......or water...or guilt....

Cards are always nice... : -)

There. I've said it.

-me

7 comments:

Little Penpen said...

I am finding out more and more that we are so much alike! I, too, am a plant murderer. I cannot, CANNOT keep anything alive!

Miss Mia said...

You had 4 kids and you can't even keep a plant alive? Oh, the horror! Well, atleast you did keep us alive, that's the important part ;)

Jan said...

I find I go through plant nurturing in stages. When I was younger...much younger...I had plants galore! MANY plants. Then I went through a time when I couldn't keep a plant alive to save my own life! : ) Now I'm back at it! Plants abound in my home! Maybe you'll hit your stride...someday? ;)
Good luck!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love your header!! Are those your dogs?

I am not really a plant murderer...more like a very poor caretaker -lol. Mine really never die, they just get sicker and sicker....
Hugs,
Penny

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

My friend gave me a Bonzai plant for Cjristmas last year..so strong, so manly..so dead. It started to turn brown..gave it new dirt, new moss, new rocks , new home....dead..died They lady at the nursery..yeah called in professional help..said spray them every day and do not put them in the house...lack of moisture...but they do not like the heat..HELLO I live in the South.....it is 65 here today....January 6, 2009. It is on the back porch...brown. wilted, DEAD

Jean said...

I have the same problem! Outside they thrive, inside they die! This would be a cute Bloomin' Tuesday post. Jean

Little Penpen said...

Okay, I'm reading this a year later and I'm still with you on this one. Read my post for today. :o)

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...