Thursday, July 7, 2011

We **think** we may be having....

Triplets!!!

No, no Mr. B and me..silly..and no, not one of the kiddos..

The hummers!!  Yes. we have another nest this year and we couldn't be more pleased.

When MammaSweetieBird had Gracie & George a couple of years ago..we were thrilled.



 {George & Gracie, circa 2009}

It was the highlight of our summer to watch the progress of the nest-sitting, the little beaks when they hatched..and their little inquisitive heads popping up "pre-flight"...


We were there to see Gracie's very cautious first flight and landing, just a few feet away on the wire..



We were "scolded" by MammaSweetieBird every time we ventured too close to her babies..


And, although proud as new parents to see their "kids" take flight..we were sad too that it was over..


 {Gracie's short first flight..}

I read that they do not come back and re-use the nest, however, I didn't take it down for a few months..just to be certain.

When I did, I carefully brought it in the house and placed it under a cloche to protect it.  It was just bigger than a half walnut shell, can you imagine??

Then a few weeks ago, Mr. B called to me from the back yard.  He then pointed to the exact same spot the nest had been...only to see a NEW nest!

 {these are the new babies!!}

I don't know about you, but I choose to believe that it was Gracie that has come "home" to give her babies the same protection she and George had....under the eaves, away from the rain and difficult for predators..
(.. and me with my camera..) to get to her wee ones..



 {you can see just how teensy they are..that is just a regular size extension cord and tiny back-yard bulbs..}

We figure Georgie is living the life of a bachelor.. flying from feeder to feeder..from house to house...and that's OK..we always had to have at least 1 'wild-child'..

So, here are Gracies' offspring..we think there may be 3..possibly..we think we've seen 3 beaks..but it could be something else..

"Ma...."

But one is a big 'ol baby..always hungry and crying for MammaGracie..

 "Mom!!"

 MAAAMA!!!


" Mommmmmy..."



"WaaaWaaa! Come feed me! I'm still hungry!!"
"It's to hot in here..and she's touching me.."
"tell her to quit, Mom..."
"WaaaWaaa!"


( I KNOW you have nest-envy..hee hee..I had that for years..)

So, we're going to have a "Hummer of a Summer"..how about YOU!

-me

19 comments:

Ann said...

How sweet ... and how lucky you are to be their haven. Such beautiful birds.

just call me jo said...

That mouthy baby reminds me of our Blakers...(You'll love that!) What a cute story you've created around your babies. I'm sure it's Gracie. Keep the commentary going. I want to see these three. So fun.

Vee said...

Not as sweet a hummer of a summer as yours. (This summer does represent the first time I've been able to capture a hummingbird's photo. Next I'm aiming for and "in flight" photo.) What a fun post and what perfect real estate when you think about it.

RoeH said...

How adorable! They just build a nest any old little place they find out of the way of dangerous nature, don't they. Those tiny little eggs are just precious.

Laurie said...

Awwwwww! I've always wanted hummingbird nests, but have yet to see any young ones around, just the two that come back yearly. I have my 3 bluebird babies, but still envy your hummers!!!!

Unknown said...

that is just so sweet! i love the photos. lucky birds!

Breezy said...

What great pics!
ya know.. I think I've seen George at my house but I've never been able to capture him with my camera.

XOXOX
gail

Unknown said...

I LOVE humming birds....lucky you and them to have such a wonderful spot for the babies.....

Charmingdesigns said...

I'm so glad your babies are back, how cute are they!!!

ain't for city gals said...

I am sure it is Gracie coming back...she knows a good thing when she sees it! I do have hummer next envy...I would love to see this in real life!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Awwwwwwwwwww... How precious...

~♥~

Little Penpen said...

How coooool.... I know hummingbirds are tiny, but to be able to make their nest on an extension cord! That is so neat! God is truly blessing you and hubby to have such a close up view of His handiwork!

A Wild Thing said...

You bet I have nest envy, they are just so itty bitty...but I'll get ya back with EGG ENVY...soon I hope...you'll probably hear me squeal clear out yonder.

Have a great weekend sista!

Art by Darla Kay said...

Amazing photos Colleen! So very sweet!
Hope you've been doing well and having a wonderful summer!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so cool!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Colleen you are such a hoot! How sweet those little hummers are. Birds nests are just amazing creations and it is a wonder those little birdies can stay in that teeny tiny home built just for them. Hope you are having a great weekend. Tammy

Unknown said...

So sweet!!

We're definitely having triplets; house wrens built a nest in one of my hanging baskets of sedum on the front porch. Can't wait to watch "the show"!

Lynette Killam said...

I love your pictures and your story, Colleen...birds are absolutely one of the best things nature has to offer...I never tire of watching them!

I had to come over and tell you that I loved your Charlie story on Gail's page, though it got me a bit weepy. I still haven't gotten over the unexpected loss of my beloved Yorkie three years ago. It breaks my heart that there was no time to give her a last treat or even say goodbye properly...I think it's wonderful that you got to do so with your little guy!

And I adore your header photo of Doolin. We visited Ireland a few years ago. I was born in Northern Ireland, but had not seen most of the island, and thoroughly loved driving around the perimeter.

Have a wonderful week and I'll talk to you again soon. Thank you again for the story of Charlie's Park...

Lynette

Dapoppins said...

What a precarious nest building business it must have been! Glad to see you raised a happy family!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...