Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Good advice? Hmmm..I don't know....

So OK Mr. B gave me some advice the other day…

“If it works for you, stick with it.”

Which is really good advice if you’re talking about husbands…or laxatives…or pain relievers.

But not so much for hairstyles.

I’ve had the same hair for about 20 years. Well, not the same hair(s)..

The same “do” .....

In every photo, ..sometimes a little shorter (just after the haircut) and sometimes a little longer (just before the haircut) but always the same.


Oh, and OK a little "bull" heehee

Mr. B thinks “So, what’s the problem?”

This coming from a man who buys 7 of the exact same shirts, at times in the same color, because they work” for him…

When I was younger, when these feeling came over me, I just colored my hair. Red, redder, blond, dark red, lighter blond. Orange (a combo of the dark-er red and blond-er blond)

But, I like my gray hair. It’s easy and sort of pretty. And I earned each and every one of them.


It can sometimes get me a showing of “respect” from young(er) people. They don’t know I am a 30 year old in a 59 year old body…

It has gotten me the Senior breakfast at IHOP. Not quite into the Senior Center TaiChi class though…

So, here I am, in the in-between place of setting up the appointment with the hairdresser or wearing a hat for another 3 months while it grows past that “oh-my-you’ve-changed/done something/need-to-do –something-with-your-hair” look from everyone you meet. What to do…what to do…Or what not to do… what not to do….

Guess I’ll wait it out another few weeks to see how many folks I can scare before Halloween…

-me...not so much "me" as "Mimi"..which sounds lot like "me" ....but not so much....it's Mimi..

really.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your gray hair is beautiful, Colleen, and I'm right there with you on the style (see my note in your anniversary post :o) Our husbands are cut from the same cloth ... "whatever makes you happy, honey," and they actually mean it. A girl can't ask for more than that.

I've been reading through your blog for the past few nights and love the warmth and love that comes through. I linked to you several days ago, and hope you'll forgive me for tagging you (yeah, I know ...) with an I Love Your Blog award. C'mon by and pick it up when you have a chance. It was passed to me by a new blogger and -- though I have mixed feelings about the awards and tagging stuff -- she's certainly right that it helps us learn a little bit more about the other wonderful bloggers out there.

Kudos to your brother, too, I'm glad he's doing so well with his chemo and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Victoria

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

He he ! I love to read your blog ~ It is so much fun ~
I am thinking I really like the blue eye shadow :o)
xoxo,
Lori

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

Just blogged about the same thing..guess great minds work together...cut all mine off and let it do what it wants to do..at this point in my life...it's mine and I can do what I want....

Laurie and Chris said...

I love your grey hair. I hate when you get in to a hair rut!! My mom is a hairdresser so I can just say do something different and I am ok with that because she won't make me look bad!! Good luck with your "new" do!!

Betty said...

You have beautiful hair! You may think it's an 'unfortunate length' now, but it looks so cute on you. As for Mr. B's advice...I like it. Has he ever 'steered' (saw your bull in the pictures) you wrong before? Love ya.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the color of your hair! I have been letting mine go back to the natural "silver" - not gray! I have a couple more months to go.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

You do have beautiful hair, Colleen! I've been in a hair rut myself and am going to the hairdresser on Thursday to get a new do!

I've tagged you...visit my blog, "Home Is Where The Heart Is...2" to play along.

Have a great day!

Bonita Rose said...

Love your gray hair.. keep it! and that mimi pic is hilarious! I'D KEEP THE GREY.. it's so you!... you're gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I can live with the "do" but you got to lose the eyeshadow!

Anonymous said...

Mr B is right if its not broke dont fix it ,I think you look great the way you are , have you tried using wax on your hair ? . love Angie xx.

Anonymous said...

Mr B is right if its not broke dont fix it ,I think you look great the way you are , have you tried using wax on your hair ? . love Angie xx.

Anonymous said...

You sound just like me. If it gets to long off it comes. I love your hair just as it is. The color is beautiful.Stay as you are you always shine!

Charmingdesigns said...

What a wonderful family photo!!! (I keep forgetting to tell you that I loved that old hinge photo) Laurie

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...