Monday, September 22, 2008

I know you think you know what I meant..

..but I'm not sure if I did.

That was my Monday.

We've been busier than usual and sometimes I get my tang tungled. Tongue tangled. I can't speak...

Well, I can speak, but I say the wrong words right...... the words I am using correctly are not the words I meant to say..

Confused? Yeah, me too.

I feel an example is needed here.

OK, so when someone give a DNA sample to a research foundation for research, and a foundation being a foundation and all, they don't release private information.

Your "donation" is, and here's where I get into trouble on the phone, anonymous.

And I know that.

But what comes out of my mouth when I am explaining the whole DNA-retrieval system (don't get me started) is that " your donation is, of course, unanimous.

So, the person on the phone is silent....thinking about what I just said....unanimous...

"Are all the researcher's in the same opinion on my sample?? They're unanimous?? "

"No, sorry....."

"You mean they aren't unanimous in their findings????"

"No, that's not what I meant to say..."

"Well???"

"OK , your results have been given to the fouondation...ah..unan..ah..anono.....uh...without your name.

"Oooh, you mean..... anon·y·mous·ly !!"

"YES! YES! THANK YOU"

So, I'm going to put this up on my cubicle wall:

anon·y·mous

Pronunciation:
\ə-ˈnä-nə-məs\
Function:
adjective
1 : not named or identified 2 : of unknown authorship or origin 3 : lacking individuality, distinction, or recognizability

And....

unan·i·mous

Pronunciation:
\yu̇-ˈna-nə-məs\
Function:
adjective
1 : being of one mind : agreeing 2 : formed with or indicating unanimity : having the agreement and consent of all — unan·i·mous·ly adverb

What words do you have problems spitting out???

Have a good Tuesday and mean what you say and say what you mean...and if in doubt...pretend like there's a bad phone connection and you can't understand what they're saying!!

"wha?? I can't hear yo..can you hea me? ello? We mus ha a bad conn ec tion?"




-me

4 comments:

Betty said...

Just the other day, my sister said she meant to say 'monogrammed'; she said 'mammogrammed'...you are not alone! Cracks me up when we do this kind of thing and the reactions we get are usually pretty funny...hope your caller saw the humor of it, after all. Love ya.

Jan said...

Oh I'm always stumbling over my words! I just think my mouth doesn't wait for my brain to catch up! I usually follow up with "are you with me on this?" which is usually followed by either a blank stare...if in person...or a very long pause when on the phone! LOL!

Charmingdesigns said...

Its not a happy word, but it makes my family laugh...I cant pronounce funeral..my husband was showing our Tappan stove to prospect buyers of our house and said " we have a lovely Tampon" pretty funny. Laurie

Julie said...

I can't think of any of mine right now (or am I just not admitting to them?)

But here's a Freudian slip. Whenever I type Fargo, which I do often in my work, living in ND as I do, I type Farto. Go figure. (Maybe it stems from the long-held rivalry between NDSU in Farto (erm, Fargo), and UND in Grand Forks, which I attended.

Anyway, when I worked as a temp at a business here in Bismarck, the receptionist had to say, "Good afternoon, Tucker Sales. This is Kathy. How may I direct your call?" But on one day she said, "How may I direct your car?"
From that day on she abbreviated her greeting, no matter what the bosses were requiring.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...