Friday, December 19, 2008

Oops...I almost forgot...

Today is Brandi's birthday! And how could I forget!!?? After all, her name is memorable - Brandi - spelled that way to make it different from the Cherry Brandy I lived on while extremely pregnant with her...

Yes, an explanation IS is order..lest you think me a bad Mom..


I had been having a LOT of false labor with her and one particularly bad experience, I was hospitalized, where they wanted to "relax the contractions" - with an alcohol IV...now remember, this was 33 years ago...
The IV caused a pulminary (sp??) embolism, so they had to remove it- and I went back into labor (I was only 6 moths along)
They decided to make me drink STRAIGHT whiskey - with only soda crackers...YUCK!

Well, it worked, the contractions stopped, I was drunk for 3 days in the hospital and when the Doc asked if I had any questions, I asked "what will happen if labor starts again?"He told me to start the alcohol again..BLAH...So I asked if there was anything more..palatable??

He said I could drink Cherry Brandy & Coke..so for the next 3 months, I was a regular LUSH!
And, the stubborn child then decided it was kinda fun INSIDE, just rollin' around in the booze-filled little "Womb of her own" ...and ended up 3 WEEKS LATE!!
What else COULD I name her?? I thought she was going to be the first baby enrolled in AA..
She's been a delight ever since. Good hearted, GREAT mother, fun sister and loving daughter..Johnny would have to remark on the kind of wife she is.. .. but I know she's great at that too!

So.......HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEETHEART!

XXXOOOO

MUMSY

9 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

What a wonderful story! Happy birthday Brandi. Laurie
PS...my daughter was 3 weeks late too.

white o'morn cottage said...

Great story! Well, they do say that Brandy is medicinal! When I was a few days old I went blue and my mam called a neighbour who promptly gave me a large spoonful of Irish Whiskey! Well, I pinked up and have not looked back since...HIC...
Happy Birthday Brandi!

Betty said...

We had a neighbor in Germany who would give his baby a finger of brandy when he was babysitting...said she slept the whole time...well, yeah, she would, wouldn't she?? We've learned a lot since the 'olden days', eh? Love the story!

April said...

Certainly explains her ahhhh, shall we say, "drinking abilities" today??!!??

Ha ha. Just teasing my favorite sis on her b-day (as all good sisters are required to do!).

Happy Birthday Brandi!! Hope Johnny and Ella take you out for a nice dinner tonight.

Love,
Aprl

Brenda said...

That is way to funny. Happy Birthday Brandi.

madrekarin said...

It is amazing the lengths in which a mother will go to protect her child. Collen, you top them all!
Happy (belated) birthday, Brandi!!

Denise Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Hugs, Denise

Jean said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter! I love the cake in a jar idea! They look wonderful and I'm sure taste it too. I also think you mug is'udderly adorable'. Can't wait to see where it ends up next. I don't think you should wait until Christmas. Jean

Lindsay Bunker said...

I love you, that is all. I love the brandi story, who would have thought? Too hilarious. Have a wonderful weekend and I will see you monday at the office!

XOXO

Linds!