Monday, December 1, 2008

What is it about the Andy Williams Christmas show...

... that can transport one back to the 60's faster than a speeding taco?

Maybe because "in the olden days" everything was simpler...

yeah....right. I was a young mother of 4 little kids and a "starter husband" which, for most people, would make them shy away from marriage forever..

But I remember watching the Andy Williams Christmas special, wanting to be a part of his family. They all looked so happy and even his toddler daughter and his (then) wife, Claudine Longet, were dressed alike!

I thought it was the cutest thing ever..and, because my own toddler daughter looked very much
like the little girl, I thought ..well..maybe if I could sew..

Bygones. Couldn't sew then, can't really sew now. But if you catch it on PBS, you'll see what I mean - they were ADORABLE!

I remember lighting some candles, missing my parents who were in California (we were in Arizona) and it was too warm to even think about Christmas. I probably needed the "swamp cooler" on just so I could have the candles!

But, it was the BEST show of the season. And still is.
I saw one of the "extras" with barrel curls in her hair - remember those? In your fancy "up-do" you'd have these big, fat curls that were sprayed to rock hard...or, if you didn't have long enough hair, you could buy a piece with fake curls and bobby-pin in your own stumpy hair to make it look like a fancy up-do!
I hadn't thought about that in years...


The Osmond's sang, the Williams brothers were dressed head-to-toe in bright colors (even sporting red V-neck sweaters, white turtle necks underneath (unless they were...Heaven forbid..dickies!) and red pants AND shoes!
In the next year - they were all dressed in green - complete to the shoes. And the V-neck sweaters. And the white turtle necks..
But we enjoyed them then, and I enjoyed them tonight. Sweet. Not rapping-changing-the-words-to-be-cool , just good ol Christmas music.
If you get a chance where you are..watch..and remember..that is, if you're old enough to even know who Andy Williams is!
Happy December oneth..
-me

7 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Colleen, that was one of my very favorite Christmas shows!!! You see, I was madly in love with Donny Osmond and it gave me time to stare dreamily into the tv...Andy's voice was always smooth as silk too wasn't it?? I'll have to try to catch that show on pbs! Happy Dec. oneth to you too ~ hope your week is wonderful, xxoo, Dawn

Betty said...

Oh, yeah, I'm giving away my age by saying how very much I enjoyed the Andy Williams show. Our whole family would watch and sing along...surprised the neighbors didn't call the police about the racket! Thanks for the memories!

Neabear said...

Yep, the good old shows. We have rented the Andy Williams shows from netflix. May do it again this year.

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

I loved that show with the cute little Osmond boys and remember when Kenny and Dolly did thier show....

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Oh Colleen, what a treat to walk down memory lane. One year I got to see Andy and the Osmondies at "The Dome" in Bountiful....I was one lucky little girl! Me thinks I'm gonna make my children watch a video of it next time we are together!

A Wild Thing said...

December oneth...again, you have me chortling outloud...ahh the good ol' days of Aquanet and bobbie pins and fake hair pieces. How did we ever survive the 70-80's...worst fashions ever...but we were so cool...right!?

My Dad still watches Lawrence Welk reruns...didn't like it den, sho don't like it now.

Back in the 50's when we took a family vacation to California, Mum wanted us all to dress in the same outfits, yup, cute lil' striped shirts, petal-pushers (for the girls)...and the dreaded Playtex BRA...YUCK...way to ruin my vacation!!!...Did a man invent that contraption???

Laughin' all the way...sharon

Lauralew said...

Merry Christmas! Just watched the show on PBS and then looked Andy Williams up on Google--found your blog that way. We always watched Andy's show with his family when we were young. I am almost exactly Donny Osmond's age so I was very young, but my entire family so enjoyed the show. We all were so sad when he and his wife split and the show was no more. Thanks for your comments and the memories of how it was for others.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...