Friday, December 31, 2010

Good bye to one year and hello to another..

What a gift we get..each year that we can see out the old and in with the new.

Another chance to do the things we love..to see the people we love..to start over..fresh and new..just like the year itself.

Another Valentine's Day..and 4th of July..and birthday..and Thanks-Mas and Christmas.

No "New Year's Resolutions" for me.  Nuh uh.  Not gunna do it.

I really don't need the negative feelings if I don't manage to do all of them.  And if I did..what then?

Nope.  I want something to strive for..not necessarily obtain.

Keeps me going.   That "carrot" .

But I do have a "word" for the year....

FOCUS





I have A.D.D. ....really.  I have too many half- read books..too may unfinished crafts..too many good intentions.  All at the.same.time. to really enjoy any of them to the fullest.

Yep, I'm like that dog in the cartoon...who is listening and talking then..SQUIRREL !....

So FOCUS it is. 

With that word come so many others..'simplify' comes to mind.

And of course the Ford Focus..that was son Jeff's first new car..he loved that Ford Focus. Ahh...

OK, Ok..

I really really REALLY want to do that.  Focus.  Not get a new car.  I have one. Well, it was new a couple of years ago..so it's still new...ish.

I've already made some baby steps to start focusing....like my clothes.

Realized I like myself in white tops.  White. Not polka dots or flowers.  Plain. White. Simple.

And T-shirt material is great.  But at least 3/4 sleeves.  So I found some at Wally World..and bought 4.



I can dress them up with various necklaces or scarves..but I really like white.




And jeans.  And I can wear jeans to work.  So, why buy red pants? Or blue.  Or tan.  I like jeans.

Getting dressed is now soooooo easy.  Pick a shirt..any shirt..ans it's bound to look good with my jeans..any jeans.

Simple. Focused. Easy-peasy.

I like that.

Now, putting that concept into other areas of my life. 

Crafts.  I am the Queen of unused craft-crap.  I can't seem to rid myself..that old "hey! I like this! And I MAY used it...one day" mentality.

There's stuff in there I haven't used..barley seen..in over a year..or 2?!

And that makes me feel guilty..then I stew and do nothing..and feel even more guilt. 

So, I am making strides in clearing my room, my mind, my closets of unused junk so I can really FOCUS on what I love.

Guess that means getting rid of all those other men..and FOCUS on Mr. B huh?



Nah.

-me
PS..just kidding about the other men..who could ask for better than who whom I have been blessed with??



FOCUS Colleen, FOCUS !!

17 comments:

RoeH said...

Oh my gosh. The many long sleeved "t-shirts" I have. Every color. You can do so much with them . . . ANDDDDD . . you can even dress them up for church. And that's a big item for me because if I could, I would wear pajamas every Sunday. On the other hand, I really like to dress up one day a week. Heaven knows I never do it any other day. My mother dressed up every day of her life. I just didn't get that gene. (Thank goodness)

Vee said...

Now I should have read your post yesterday. It has set me grinning.

Breezy said...

Happiest of New Year to you! One of the best things that happened to me this year was meeting you. We need to meet for lunch and shopping.

~gail

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey Colleen, you just voiced, with humor, my own feelings. FOCUS! I lack that. SIMPLIFY! I need that. I'm with you on all counts, even the men. :) Blessings to you and yours, Tammy

just call me jo said...

I didn't think I had ADD until lately. Sheesh! I struggle with focusing too. Squirrel! Love it!
I need a word too. If only I could stop my brain from racing long enough to find one. Love to you sweetie.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

LUV what you've done with your wardrobe! Brilliant!!! Simply brilliant.

And you've totally set the stage for a smart year, for yourself. With one word. After some soul-searching. Great!

Gentle New Years hugs...

Art by Darla Kay said...

YOU CRACK ME UP! haha
FOCUS! Too cute!
So glad to have gotten to know you this year Colleen, you have brought many, MANY smiles to my face! Wishing you the BEST in 2011~~~Hugs!
Darla

Debby@Just Breathe said...

John Travolta is my favorite man, has been forever! I love your dress code, sounds like a great idea, so glad you found the perfect thing that you love to wear. I don't make any resolutions but I always want to diet and exercise. You have done so well with that! Love your new word. I have seen a few people pick a word for the New Year. I think mine would be Simplify!

Pearl said...

Love the post and girl we could be twins. My word is BREATHE...ahh now doesn't that feel better? When ever I feel over whelmed I stop and throw everything out of this brain and just take a deep breath. Yep your off to a good start sister friend getting rid of all the clutter. I hear a chairity truck calling your name. Love, Me

diane b said...

A great post. You really have a way with words and you can express what you think well. Focus and clear out the craft crap sounds a good thing to strive for. Don't throw out Mr b , he's too cute.

A Wild Thing said...

Face it sista...you're a JUNK WHORE!!! Funny how that word applies to so many things...

I hope we have many more meaningful conversations like this in the new year, Lord knows we need the stimuli...right, with the attention disorders and all...just sayin'...

You know Colleen, we're the kinda people that always wear a smile, even in the worst of times, it's all how you perceive life...and we are sick in the head, so it comes natural to us...I think...

Have a wonderful new year and I'll be back...like a bad penny...heehee!!!

s
aka:Junk Whore

Candice Michele said...

Love beautiful necklaces and that you choose cloths that you love. I love that there are other people in the world with a collection of half read books. Smiles. Happy New Year.

Vicki/Jake said...

A.D.D......

Always Doing Delightfully!!!

Carry on Colleen :)

xox

Sherry Goodloe said...

Ooooh how I wish I could wear jeans to work. I would wear a pair of jeans and a white top every single day I tell you! Instead I wear black slacks just about every day and I have a closet FULL of white blouses, tops, shirts, t's, etc.

I didn't set any goals or make any resolutions or even come up with a word for the year. It just all seems to stressful. I guess if I were to pick a word it would be "flow". As in just flow with situations better. But no - no word.

love your taste in men *smiles*

Ms. Fiddlesticks said...

I love that idea about the clothes. If you find something that looks good and fits well then yes buy more than 1 or 2. Hard to come by the right thing sometimes. Happy New Year from Georgia.

Jillian said...

Tom Selleck... my Mom just commented on him last night. No wonder you two are so much alike ;)

Unknown said...

right now I aM FOCUSED ON LAUGHING......

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...