Sunday, August 22, 2010

..the party's over...

..but it was waaaay fun.

We had such a relaxing time! This was the first time in a long time that we all enjoyed the whole night..no one was stuck in  the kitchen - I had prepared the 2 lasagnas the night before..one made with meat (3 kinds) and 3 kinds of cheese.. and one vegetarian..with mushrooms, zucchini and reduced-fat cheese..{it was wonderful}..and of course, garlic bread..crispy and crunchy!..{and buttery..}

I asked everyone to bring a dish to share...and boy oh boy did they...

Rachael & Jeff brought the famous FooFoo Salad - a great concoction of pudding {made with buttermilk}, cool whip, pecan sandies, mandarin oranges and bananas..yum-oh..

Brooks & Jenny brought Caprice salad - made with basil from her garden..

Sacha & Chris brought a wonderful fresh salad with blueberries, apples, nuts, feta cheese and greens - topped with a maple vinaigrette....


And Grandma Evelyn made her famous Coke-a-Cola cake..and I have the recipe - in her handwriting - and I'm willing to share...you'rewlecomeverymuch!!


..It's one of those "saved" favorites from the 40's or 50's {note the "oleo" and Crisco..}

It is one of the BEST cakes I have ever tasted..and I've gotten cake-faced on many occasions...this is by far the best chocolate cake..


Here's what we all did today..


Have a good week and remember - it's a fresh start to a new week..make it a good one :-)

11 comments:

Life is good! said...

that cake sounds divine! actually the whole meal does to. glad it was such a great relaxing day!

T's Daily Treasures said...

Happy belated to hubby! Ha! That's pretty funny that you always celebrated birthdays on Saturdays. No wonder your kids were confused. :) Vegetarian lasagna, yum! And that salad with maple vinaigrette sounds wonderful! Lots of good food and fun time with family. Hope you have a great week. Tammy

ain't for city gals said...

So much food...like always at the parties...same in my family. I'm going to gather the ingrediants for that cake and give it a try!

Gaston Studio said...

Looks like Hubby had a great party, surrounded by great friends and family, and all that wonderful food... who couldn't?

P.S. I love coca cola cake!

Karen said...

Looks like a great time! You don't do things halfway, do you?

Vee said...

I have that recipe, too, from my mother's recipe box. I've never made it, but on your recommendation, I may have to break down. What a great time! Family, friends, food...nothing can beat that. Hope that Mr. B had a splendid day...he looks kinda content. :D

Artistic Accents by Darla said...

Oh, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! That's awesome!
I'll have to try that cake, YUM!

Debby said...

Sounds like it was perfect. I am so glad that you all had such a wonderful time. Thanks for the cake recipe, I must try it!

Liz, Viive and Benji said...

I'm all for pot luck!! The food is better!

Pearl said...

Sounds wonderful such yummy food, that cake is making my mouth water. Have a great week.

Melinda Cornish said...

I love coca cola cake......yum! I have a recipe book from the forties for the "modern" housewife....It is a riot...heart attack recipes, I am tellin' you.....