Sunday, November 16, 2008

Today was "Date Saturday"...with Mr. B.and me...

....and we had a really good day together. We went to "The Gateway" which is a sort-of-new shopping area downtown Salt Lake City..kinda an outdoor mall....minus the mall..

When they started construction, they offered to have one purchase a brick - in memory of someone, or from a family or a business. Really interesting to look at..



We had lunch at McGrath's Fish House..Hmmm...this is Alder-planked Salmon with cheddar, scallion butter...fresh veggies and tomatoes (no potatoes for me..the butter was bad...uh...GOOD enough..)


If you go there, I highly recommend the Salmon..Oh..and the Chi Tea with cream....


Oh, and the Coconut Shrimp appetizer..


Part of the area used to be the train station. I loved some of the old tile work...



Can you just imagine the fancy ball gowns and the dances that could be held here?





This niche looked like a Holy Water fount in church..byt there was no water of course..I'm trying to think of what it could have been used for...maybe a drinking fountain of some sort...



The tile floor is original..looks like that Subway tile..


Stained glass arches..depicting the Wild West..





Oh, and just outside..."amber waves of grain"...uh..not really..some sort of decorative grasses. But pretty..

'Tis herself, looking rather smug..just found 2 great books at the bookstore...and BOUGHT them :-)


And here they are...I especially like the title of the Irish book...it has words (kind of like Irish slang) , recipes, stories and songs..all Irish..

....and the book I've been coveting for a while...Vintage Vavoom...(which is how I think I'll describe myself from now on) I got a bonus at work and after saving most of it, decided to treat myself..



It was deceptively cool for such a clear sunny looking day...

And we arrived relatively early so there was not a lot of people yet.


The most important "people" was Mr. B...loooking less than thrilled that I decided to take his photo while he had to look directly into the sun..sorry Honey..


It's not evident here, but there are squirts of water that come up everywhere, anywhere, anytime...in the summer the kids love it - I was extremely tempted to see if I could make it to the other side...




Just beyond the Gateway, they have beautiful, luxury condos. Wouldn't that be cool to live up there and just walk down for a cuppa in the morning??




What a cute name for a shop. I didn't go in..probably had those clothes that look like they were made for someone the size of a Barbie!



So, that was our "date day" - came home and took a nap - then made oatmeal & toast for supper..had to ease up on the food after that great lunch!


Have a great Sunday and thanks for stopping by..

-me

12 comments:

Charmingdesigns said...

Glad you had a great day! There is nothing like sunshine to make the day better! Laurie

imjacobsmom said...

It looks like you had a fun shopping day! Your salmon looks delish! The shrimp even better! Hope you had a Happy pink saturday! ~ Robyn

Neabear said...

Sounds like a great day. I did not check out the Gateway when I was there attending a Women's conference at the Salt Palace in July.

said...

Sounds like you had a super date day. Love the pink polka dot awning!

Jan said...

I've been there!! How cool!
I'm so happy you had such a fun day!

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

What a fun day you had! I love your
Irish book. You'll have to share
some of the good stuff from
it :)

~kimme

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful date for such an awesome couple. Glad you had a great day.

Betty said...

You and Randy have more fun going out than just about any couple I know. You are doing so well with your WW...come on down and let me see you in person, eh? Take care.

LADY JANE said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I love that you called it a date...and since this is my first stop here...I have to tell you that I love your profile,especially the pic of the two of you in the frame! Too cute!

Kentucky Bound said...

Thanks for taking us along on your date. I had a wonderful time seeing the sights through your eyes.

Blessings and hugs from the creek.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful place and a great night out!
Kathy

Kathi said...

Oh how fun. I love the building with it's tile work and pretty fixtures. The food looks great too. I'm glad you had a wonderful date with your sweetie.

Kathi

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...