Sunday, July 4, 2010

Gotta love those Big-Town 4th of July parades....

..and if you have seen any this holiday weekend.., it probably wasn't in Arivaca Arizona..



They actually have a sign on the mercantile that said "Closed for 15 minutes for the parade"
Seriously..

But for the past few years, the Sullivan's have had quite a presence in the parade..

Our brother Larry drove his tractor, usually pulling a trailer full of beautiful grand kids..



..and tethered to the "float" was The Mighty Tomato ..

..but both are gone now, so my sister Gerri, who works at a care center in Arivaca (called CAREavaca..get it? Like Arivaca?)

..and {in between having breast cancer treatments and a heart condition..} decided to keep up the tradition..but with a slight twist..


So, she went to work to find the very first "Ms. Caravaca"..one of the residents of the care center..


Kathy had a sash made for "Ms. Caravaca" and Gerri dressed her in the finest riding gear, tied her feet into the stirrups, put a cowboy hat on her head....and made her day.




Gerri tethered her horse Edit, to Gerri's horse, Breezy, and off they went.

For 15 minutes..and for a lifetime of happy memories.


I think Larry and the Mighty Tomato would be proud..

Happy 4th of July..

-me

17 comments:

Pearl said...

Colleen your family and you all have very big hearts. The joy on this womens face says it all. Your sister is looking beautiful as ever. Such great memories of Larry, thanks for sharing. Hugs, Pearl

Laurie said...

What a special tribute Gerry made to Larry and Tomato. Carrying the tradition in her own unique way, was perfect. I pray for a full recovery for her, and healing in her heart.

diane b said...

You have a wonderful family. How brave is the lady from the care centre and your sister must be so trusted. Caring for others even when faced with problems herself, how unselfish. Bravo to her.

Unknown said...

what a wonderful tribute to Larry and tomato. gerri, you rock! that's what our country is all about, thanks! have a wonderful week!

Little Penpen said...

What a sweet post... and your sister is awesome. (you all are awesome!)

Emmy said...

What a wonderful adventure! Thank you for sharing with us; and happy 4th!

(And yes, I'm sure that Larry and the Might Tomato would be proud) ;)

Sue said...

Colleen this must have been very bittersweet for your family. Your brother (and the Mighty Tomato) would definitely be very proud!

Hugs,

Sue

just call me jo said...

That's what I love about small towns. I think of your brother often when I hear the news here in AZ about the immigrant bill. I'm sure he and Tomato were proudly watching. That older lady on the horse looked so happy. Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post.
This is the most beautiful 4th of July I have ever seen.
God Bless.

Vee said...

Sooo sweet! Your sister is a doll and so is Ms Caravaca. And what a dear tribute to your brother tucked in. Hope that all his grands have happy memories.

Vicki/Jake said...

Awww Colleen, what more could I say..
Tugs at the heart for sure and yet makes me so proud to be an American. And to know that spirit is still around. What a great day for all!

Art by Darla Kay said...

Wonderful post Colleen! You have a wonderful family and I'm glad you had a great 4th!
I attended a parade too but did I bring a camera? Nope, totally forgot!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Let's see if this goes thru...! Love this post. It is really what the 4th is all about. I loved it. Thanks for sharing. I spent the fourth watching for momma bear and her two cubs. She has been trashing the neighbors. Poor thing must have been scared from all the loud booms in the valley.

Charmingdesigns said...

I am so glad you have photos to back up your wonderful memories!!

A Wild Thing said...

Small town USA, don't get much better'n this, what great memories you guys share, hope you had a good one!

Glad you found a local, small time groomer, we're the best, no corporate bullies pushin us around!

Ziva is adorable...ahhhh...puppy breath, nuttin' like it!

Have a good one sista!!!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What a fabulous "new" tradition! I love a parade!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

15 minutes of fabulous. What a great tradition. I was thinking of the song "fara shaka" with the decription of the name.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...