Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Momma, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys...."

That is a song by Willie Nelson for those of you who don't listen to Country Western music...


And there's a lesson in most country songs...

Like the one that's called "I've got tears in my ears from cryin' in my sleep over you.."

You get the picture...lessons in music.

OK, so here's the thing...

My sister Gerri has horses. She's a real horsewoman. And my brother Larry and his wife, Cilla, have retired to their dream of horses, riding into the sunset and all that...





But not all of us have actually been raised around horses.

Case in point, Brian, my "almost" 21 year old grandson. He now lives with his Aunt Gerri while attending college near her home in Arizona.

But somehow, he seems more comfortable in NYC. ...Times Square.... iPods, text messages and cars. And girls. I mean...girl. (sorry Tessa..)

Even Brian's little sister, Alyssa, is comfortable around horses, thanks in part to spending summers at her Aunt Gerri's house and loving horses..



But yesterday, as Brian was retrieving a ball his dog had left in the stalls, as he bent over to pick it up, he was "bumped" by the non-eating end of a 1200 lb horse - went into the wall head first and the next thing he remembers is that he was on all fours in the stall. Hmmm...


He's fine. Just another "Life Lesson" learned (never retrieve anything from the back-end of a horse...unless you KNOW what you're doing..and what the horse is thinking....)

So, from one used-to-be-red-headed "cowgirl wannabe" I think the lesson today is..

"Momma, don't let your baby BOYS grow up to be cowboys...but the girls, hey, they can handle it.."

Love ya Brian...hope you're headache is better today...

Love,
Grammie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love horses and their place looks so peaceful. We had horses growing up.. who knows we may retire that way one day. Id rather have calves and goats hehe.

The Feathered Nest said...

Colleen!!! You are a HOOT girl!!! Look at you in that last photo ~ what a cutie patootie!!!! Horses are really beautiful but boy oh so strong too...I do hope his head is better! Hope you're having a wonderful day, xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Ouch, remember the pictured of Brian and the pole he hit while playing football? Can you say Quasimoto?

-Jeff

regina barnett said...

I love horses..but never had one. Oh well....I can still love them right.

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

I love your blog: so cute. You seem so bubbly and warm. Found you on my friends site comment page: Enjoyed my stop and love love the cowgirl pic.
~~d

kari and kijsa said...

You are the absolute best...LOL...love your hat! BTW...if you want to sign up for the newsletter...just put your e-mail into the sign-up box on the blog...we will send you the last two issues!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Little Penpen said...

You have got to be the funniest thing ever! Love the photo at the end.... hope Brian is feeling better!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...