Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is is "Nature" or Nuture"?

That's the question that's been around for a while - you know, the debate of what makes children from the same family, same upbringing, same experiences sooo different?


Yeah..that debate..

OK, stick with me here..

I have 2 sisters. I love both of them and they both love me.

One used to be up at the crack of dawn, make-up on, kids up, dressed, in the high-chair, house completely clean, dinner defrosting, grass mowed and it was ..oh..say 6am!?

The other, during the same time frame, was asleep on the couch, last night's make-up on, and when I asked why her arms and neck and face had blue ink-lines on them, said happily..

"Oh good! The boys found my pen!"

One sister crafts..the other buys already crafted-crafts..

..one likes her truck..and it smells like hay and dogs..

..one likes her Buick 5000 (I don't really know what it's called, but it's big and plush and leathery..and smells like potpourri )

One, when reading the blog entry that Neelloc wrote called to say she was sorry I was having a bad day and that she was giving me a big hug over the phone..

The other one called to say she read it and it reminded her of a new country song by Darryl Worley, the chorus goes something like this:


Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me..

Yeeeah...now I DO know she loves me and she knows I can take as much as I give out..so we both had a good laugh..

....hey wait..was that at my expense ???? Uhhh..(insert eye-roll here)

Love ya both, Sisters,

-me

PS - Mr. B is on the mend! Says he feels better already because the mis-aligned clavicle was actually pushing down on the broken ribs - so now that it's aligned, he feels better!

The nurse from the hospital called today to see how he was doing...I told her he was cranky, demanding, rude, obstinate, stubborn and altogether unpleasant to be around..

She said, "Well, that could be a side effect of the anesthesia..I guess??"

I said.."Oh no, he was like that before he had surgery.."

Just kidding..

sort of..

8 comments:

diane b said...

yep I have two daughters. I love them both to bits but they are very different.
Glad to hear grumpy is on the mend.
Men are mostly grumpy patients.

Lori R. said...

oh my gosh;;; you are my new hero! Such humor and 50lbs down!!! I want to be just like you... and I'm gonna be...I just have to listen to those exercise videos a few more thousand times and I think I should have it!!! Oh and throw out all the chocolate :(
So what zodiac sign is Mr. B. that his clavicle is aligned? Glad to hear he is on the mend... I think the prayer thing is working. Hey, say hi to neelloc for me..sguh

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Oh I hear you sister. I am one of 7 and I have 5 kids of my own....it's nauture and nurture for sure!

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Art by Darla Kay said...

I LOVE your mind and adore your sense of humor! What a gift♥

Hugs,
Darla
p.s. good news on Mr. B!!

June said...

All my life I've wished for a sister. Never going to happen. Reading about you and yours gives me a vicarious peek, as does having sisters as my daughters. They are monozygotic twins, though, and when they were little, one would wake up and think she wet the bed when it was actually her sister on the other side of the room. Two peas in a pod. Nature at its best.

So happy Mr. B is feeling better already. I know you'll feel ALL better when the crankiness subsides. Allow yourself a little Hershey's. Maybe?

A Wild Thing said...

I always wished I had a sister instead of a bratty brother, but you know, after all these years...he's alright(still a brat)...but I think I'll keep him...

Ahhh...the single life...hope Scratchy doesn't get on my last nerve today...best to Mr. B.(and Mrs. as always)

Vee said...

He behaves that way when he's feeling better? Oh no. ;>

I have one sister. She's Merry Sunshine all the way. I am a bit more cynical shall we say. She can serve tea and crumpets on a tray perched on top of her laundry basket (and has); I'd die of embarrassment for far less. Yup, sisters are funny. And where do you line up? Between them or on the outer fringes? LOL!

Betty said...

Okay, so I KNOW Mr. B and he could NEVER be crabby or grumpy! I think you were joshing the nurse and she just didn't 'get it', eh?

Glad you are both feeling and sounding better. Take care.

PS...I know which sister is which!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...