Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"everything old is new again.."

That saying has been 'round for a long time.  And it's true.  Really.

Well, not so much with people..if you're old..well... wait..they can be new, right?

I mean, first your not old, then you are old and that is a new thing to be.. old..which is new, again.

So, there you have it.  It's true.  Entirely.

But the reason I bring this up is that I work with a group of young girls {20 + 30 somehtings)  That's 20 AND 30..not 20 PLUS 30..that would be like.. 50..and although that is still younger than me..it's not all that young..

So anyway..they have discovered..crocheting!  Yep, crochet..hairbands and flowers, scarves and do-dads.  And they're so cute..it's like they've discovered this whole new thing..which, in their repertoire, is a whole new thing.


And there's also a renewed vitality in embroidery.  Hand and hoop style.  I do love it and haven't done it in years.



It's easy and affordable and portable.   And, there are tons of "show me" videos on YouTube.  Free.

You don't even need your dear old Home Ec teacher (do they even call them that? Or is it something like "Life Skills for the 22nd Century Home Coaches"??)



Some of the patterns I have seen on-line...well, let's just say that ain't your Grandma's embroidery anymore..

Makes me think..what's next? Macrame?




Oh, I hope...NOT.

Anyway, I'm glad to see these young women doing fine hand work, realizing the importance of learning new skills....all the while on their iPhones, or their iPads, listening to their iPods..

..and discovering some quiet, peaceful, non-technology times.

Yeah, right.


-me...and..

Stanley :-)


17 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

It's so funny Colleen!!!! Everything seems to come around again, doesn't it? ....isn't that a Carly Simon song?? I hope you, Mr. B and the pups are stayin' cozy sweet girl....hugs and love, Dawn

Pearl said...

Sooo true I have enjoyed going to different church bazzares and watching these young ladies knitting hats for young kids and all kinds of new old crafts, its fun.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yes, everything old is new again! My 29 year old daughter has been crocheting! I made baby sweater in home economics.

diane b said...

Please don't crochet Stanley a dress.

Mellodee said...

Oh I hope it's not macrame!! I mean how many sisal plant hangers does one person actually need in a lifetime??? :)

Karen said...

I've done cross-stitch for years. Glad I'm up-to-date again!

Vicki/Jake said...

Ok Colleen, I'm OLD... so will I be NEW again too? Hummm, the things I could do....

A Wild Thing said...

Thanks for the chuckles again this AM...actually, I'm on the look-out for large, old(60's)(like us)(LOL) macrame plant hangers...got a vine that's taking over my bay window...yup, I'm glad to see some of these forgotten handiworks done by the younger generation...!

BTW...my old HOME-ICK teacher was a piece of work...I hated it when we were sewing, ever time she said selvage, you had to duck or a wad of spit hit you right in the eye through that crooked old tooth...ahhhh the good ol days!!!

s

Jillian said...

I think I need to learn... again. I swear I've been shown how to and started figuring it out several times, but I don't keep up with it so I forget it all.

Sue said...

I love that so many of the needle arts are showing such a resurgence in popularity - and I am with you on the macrame. I stumbled on a shop on Etsy the other day though that
is actually doing well with macrame
plant hangers! Huh? Been there done that! LOL

Hugs,

Sue

Dapoppins said...

I've seen macrame in the form of bracelets, but I happen to know that my mom's house is where all old macrame plant hangers go to die...she must have six or seven of them...five of which hold dead plants. Which she wouldn't let me throw out.

North of 25A said...

Oh my goodness! Do you make those adorable hand towels? Precious.
Best,
Colleen

Little Penpen said...

It excites me when I find young girls (or even girls my own age) who enjoy doing hand crafts like myself. I agree with you though... no to the macrame'. Where did you find your cute doggy patterns? Love them!

Wildflowerhouse said...

I love the way you think. Now that I am a senior citizen I think I'll try line dancing.

Lovey said...

You are brilliant! Just love the way you bring these thoughts altogether! Everything Old is New again...and Thank God for my iPad!! Smiles!

Vee said...

Sweet embroidery...love it! It is fun when the young'uns catch on to the age-old skills. It's great to know that they'll go on and on and on.

Joy Tilton said...

Funny you should write about this, my 39 year old dau. just told me last weekend she wants to learn how to crochet. I had tried to teach her when she was about 10 but that didn't go so well. She got bored after chaining about 10 and went outside to play. She's been playing for several years now and has decided she wants to really learn how this time. I asked if she wanted to make some scarves and she said, "No, I just think it would be fun to set and crochet while I watch tv at night." hmmmm, maybe I will understand my kids in time....
did I tell you my name is Colleen too? I use an alias at grannymountain, joycee is really joy c. ~don't tell anyone!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...