Friday, August 22, 2008

I remember reading somewhere...


...expecting life to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian...



My brother has cancer. Lung cancer. We found out today.

Somehow just typing those words hurts. I'd like to say I can't imagine how he's feeling tonight - but this thing is ...

..I can.

The hardest part for him was probably tonight. Having to call your children on the phone, long distance, and tell them you have cancer.

Just the memory of what I had to do makes me weep. At that time, Mr. B was my rock. He never wavered. He was always certain, not just positive, but certain I would be fine. That's all there was to it. I would survive and I would be fine. This was just a "speed bump"...

And he's that way tonight too. He knows my brother, the Kindergarten Cowboy, will be fine. We'll get over this speed bump.

And I believe him. I have to. We all have to.

And now that I am on the "other side" of that phone call we never want to get, I understand how my sisters and my brother felt when I had to call them. And I'm sorry my sisters have to re-live a call like that. And I'm sorry my brother had to make that call. And I'm sorry that I know what he'll be facing.

But, I am glad to have Mr. B and my sisters with me as we pray, cry, laugh and celebrate with my brother.

Please pray with us.

-me

11 comments:

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

oh auntie..

the lump in my throat is so huge.. but i'm switchign gears for you and for him....you have no choice but to think inspirationally.. SUNSHINE :) you be HIS rock now. Hugs for you and your family and love and strength to the Kindergarten Cowboy. :) He's got this. This will be his toughest ride yet but ride he will. I'm sure of it.
:)
chin up
d

Betty said...

You know our thoughts and PRAYERS are with your brother and with all of your family. Such sad news, but I will be certain, along with you and Randy, that he will be fine. Love to all.

Unknown said...

My eyes tear up as I read this. I will keep you and your family in prayer. Having gone through this before, you have the ability to be his rock.

Charmingdesigns said...

Oh Colleen, We got those phone calls from my husband Dad,Then his mom.I do know the pain and sickness, but you are strong and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Take care my wonderful friend. Laurie

Anonymous said...

My loving thoughts and healing prayers are with you and your family tonight. He is so blessed to have a family like you and your sisters. Love to him and to you. ..love Pam

Charmingdesigns said...

Hi again sweet friend. I gave you an award over on my blog. Laurie

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh sweet friend, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I will keep your brother in my thoughts and prayers....to have a wonderful family like you all have is a blessing and support system within itself. ((((((hugs to you Colleen)))) xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

I'll pray with you. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your family, you must be strong for him now.I recently lost my Mom to lung cancer,I wanted to cry when I read your post and I don't even know you, I just know what you will go through.And for your family I will pray.
Diane

Anonymous said...

Storming heaven as we speak,and thinking of you,love and best wishes Angie xxx

the tattered nest said...

sending good thoughts your way Colleen! we are all praying for your brother..take care of yourself too!

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...