Friday, October 22, 2010

Do you remember...

... seeing A Fish Called Wanda back in the late 80’s?




One thing I remember is when Otto (played by Kevin Klein) speaks Italian to Wanda (Jamie Lee Curtis) and she...melts..

Although..when he is “regular” Otto..not so much:





Otto: Don't call me stupid.

Wanda: Oh, right! To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I've known sheep that could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs. But you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?

Otto West: Apes don't read philosophy.

Wanda: Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it. Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.
Hahaha..anyway..back to Italian.

I work in close proximity to one of our scientists who is Italian.  The real thing..like from Italy and all..

And he has an very Italian accent.  After all, he’s ..uh...Italian.

I hear him speaking Italian to his family and now, there is another scientist visiting our company from ..where else..Italy!!

So now I hear them conversing sometimes in English..and sometimes in Italian.

Guess which I like better?  Yep,  Italian.  They could be saying “the mitochondrial DNA of this particular sample was from the outer regions of the northern hemisphere in sub-freezing conditions...yadda yadda yada..” and I wouldn't care.

It sounds... amazing..

Hmmm, anyone for some Panini, or brochetta, or ...vino??



-me..or as they say......Ciao, arrivedercci.

7 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, I love it when Andrea Bocelli sings Italian. He might be singing, "You're a big, fat witch and I loathe you" but it's all okay with me.

Laurie said...

Ah yes, the language of love!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

When we visited Jerusalem and went to the site where Jesus was born, an Italian tour group started singing Away in a Manger in Italian. My girlfriend and I just start boo-hooing because it was the most beautiful version we had ever heard. Their voices were so angelic. So I know exactly what you mean. :) Hope you are having a super Saturday! Tammy PS where's the wine?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I remember the movies but don't remember the story very well. I bowl with a woman on my team who is French, I love listening to her speak English with her French accent.

Anonymous said...

I actually went to the opening of that film in L.A. I need to read the screen play again. That was a great head's up to the world. You are a wonderful reality check!
Best,
Liz

Lori R. said...

It's all in the accent isn't it?

julietk said...

I love that part of the film too :-) the film made me a fan of Kevin Kline. What gorgeous Pets you have :-) Your blog is fun reading Bye for now.

Wanna see what I've been up to ??

 I always wanted a dollhouse. My dad was a carpenter and was asked by one of his wealthy customers to make a dollhouse for their daughter. I...